1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tweaking i7 3820 overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Aquinus, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Hello.

Now that I've had my 3820 for a number of months now, I've managed to end up with a half stable overclock with decent temperatures at 4.5Ghz. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar motherboard or memory to give me an idea what others have gotten with similar hardware with what settings. I know that I can squeeze more power out of the 3820 since I've been able to run 4.75ghz stable, but it tends to run toasty and it's a little harder to hold on to the 125mhz bclk at the same time. Additionally, I can't go too much further than 2375mhz on the memory with the timings as they are.

So I'm just curious what others have gotten with similar hardware so I can try and gauge what really is left to be tweaked in my overclock. Here are some of the settings I already have set in the BIOS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Your voltage is too high.
  3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then I get interrupt not received on secondary processor. How about some constructive criticism instead of just saying "you're wrong" without any advice on what would be a better value. Also this thread is kind of old, I'm running at 133.5x30 @ 4.0Ghz at 1.28v now.
  4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    PSh!

I run that through my IVB 3570K. Temps are what kills:p(not really, but anyway...)

Lower ram speed might help CPU speed move up. Try 1866 or 2133.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I recently dropped it back to stock (2133mhz @ 9-11-10-28) still at 1T because 2333/2400 wasn't as stable as I would have liked it. (Stress tests were stable, some games were not.) I think I might be able to run it at 9-10-9-26, but I'm not sure. I have to try that out later.
  6. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    I don't get your first sentence. I tried to help you and this is how you thank me. I didn't say "you're wrong", I said your voltage was high for 4500mhz; my cpu (and yours most likely) can do that clock with 1.29v.
    Also for 4.0Ghz, why not use the multiplier rather than a 133mhz bclk?
  7. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    And my CPU had a default voltage of 1.35V. So what you got as an OC has no correlation, and that is what he was referring to.

Intel sell warranty for OC for just $25 for this chip. They literally say "Go Ahead and push it - we got your back", so if youi have purchased this warranty, than I feel there is no need to worry, especially not for Aquinus here.

Link to OC warranty:

http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

BCLK clocking to get ram speed up.

I would say though, dropping VCCSA and VTT down, back to stock if possible, would help keep temps I ncheck, and might allow a bit more CPU clock, too, if you're lucky.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  8. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    If a cpu can do 4500mhz with less voltage, why used higher?
    The rest of my settings are stock.
    @cadaveca: My ram is at 2133mhz 9-11-9-28 with 1.60v, is it worth it to drop the second timing? It needs 1.65v for that.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    nope, not for me. If you want to run benchmarks, sure, but for daily use, it won't make any noticible difference.
    claylomax says thanks.
  10. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    Also the system agent voltage, does it affect the cpu, ram or both?
  11. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I was under the impression that the VCCSA voltage may help dram and bclk overclocks. I also think I read somewhere that it is a good idea to keep it within 0.2v of your core voltage but I'm not sure if that is good advice or not.