1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

two gtx 260 or one gtx 285

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by palansuya, Aug 9, 2009.

1. palansuya New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will not sli for now. any recommendations?

2. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    1 GTX 260 for now, the 285 is way overpriced. Plus next gen Dx11 cards will be out very soon.

3. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    The first question is if your MB is setup to SLI or not, then if your PSU is capable of supporting up to 4 pci-e connecitons, and the extra load. Then whether or not you want to deal with extra game profiles and the every once in a while no gain in SLI or other issues. Not saying SLI is bad, but tbh I'd rather have a single more powerful card than two even powerful cards. And frankly I'd get a GTX275 and OC it over a GTX285 at that. Look at some video card reviews done on this site, W1z has some very good graphs indicating gaming performance at various popular resolutions, see where the 275 stands in comparison to a 280 or 285.

It all can depend on how much you're willing to spend, what your system is capable of, what resolution you game at and how much you expect for your investment. SLI is very good from what I've seen, it has it's fair share of headaches too, frankly one OC'd GTX260 runs all my games amazingly at 1920x1080...and those can be found for around 120 shipped. Then next-gen GTX3xx is coming out in a few months, do you really want to invest heavily now with heavily degraded resale values after that release? Is the next gen stuff even interesting for ya? If not I don't blame ya, if so I agree...I'm watching but not waiting at this point as my performance is still amazing after one year on a single 260...when it doesn't do it anymore, that's when I'll start looking.

:toast: