1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Two random questions: Safe to unscrew PSU? Dual display mean double GPU usage?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. I've got two random questions. I've got a old EZ Cool Watt (JSP-600) PSU however I've noticed that it's really loud and I was planning on replacing the 120 mm fan within the PSU. However I'm aware that there is a possibility of electrocution. Has anyone performed his task and how likely is the risk of getting a nasty shock.

This is my PSU, and as you can see someone attempted to replace the fan--- > http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/case-mod/251826-modifying-ezcool-s-atx-600jsp.html

1. My other random question, I've got both my LCD monitor and CRT TV hooked up to my 9600 GT graphics card displaying a clone display. The monitor is connected via DVI and the TV is connected via S-video. How much extra burden am I putting on my GPU if I were to play a game e.g. Assassin Creed
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Well it would be a good idea to flip the switch on the back to off and drain the power by holding in the power button for a few seconds.

I doubt it's any extra burden. It's just displaying two of the same images.
    Darren says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. mithrandir New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, it's not a psu I'd even consider using as they are inefficient and can cause serious damage to all your parts if/when they go.
    Darren says thanks.
  4. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate your honesty. I bought it about 2 years ago from a computer fair for £15 back when 600 watts was rare and l33t, it was a naive purchase. However I have to admit it has served me well and has never caused me any issues, it's just the fan that isn't 100% silent (although still somewhat quiet)

Edit:

That is what my lecture at university said. But I'm too cheap to buy a silent PSU! But I think I'm better off spending a little bit of cash than risking my health. I was looking at this PSU http://www.ebuyer.com/product/102993

BTW my budget is a maximum of £30 and the PSU has to be silent e.g. quieter than my other fans which operate at 17 DBA
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  5. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. that wont drain the power, they can hold power for months/years after not being used, you really should be careful when opening up a psu, and dont go poking any of the capacitors/coils etc with your fingers lol, the charge they can hold can do a lot of damage(kill), tbh if your unsure and have never done it, i probably wouldnt advise it. but thats just me.

2. it shouldnt put any(anything noticeable anyway) due to the low res that crt tv's display at. although i wouldnt see the point of it myself as you can barely read anything on a crt due to their low res anyway
    Darren says thanks.