1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

U.S. Air Force pissed at Sony

Discussion in 'Games' started by KainXS, May 13, 2010.

1. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:

it deepens, basically when the PS3's die, they send back PS3's that can't use otherOS and get screwed meaning the whole grid or PS3's many research institutions use are pretty much already doomed unless Sony does something to fix this problem.

another reason to use video cards(if thats possible)

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/how-removing-ps3-linux-hurts-the-air-force.ars'
  2. Mr McC

Mr McC

Thanks Received:
    I hate them for creating and spreading Securom, it's nice to know that the US Air force now accompanies me in voicing grievances with this company. I say bomb them.
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Lets be fair the US air force doesn't need lawyers they have B-2 Goddamn bombers. If I were Sony I'd listen to them.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    heh, otherOS may well make a comeback
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can we have the Air Force threatening to bomb Sony's HQ as a bargaining chip to get the other OS back?
  6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Oh LOL. I guess that Sony didn't take the hint in the form of Saddam's fate ? :nutkick:

Seriously, though, I hope they get pressured enough to allow OtherOS back. Removing features from hardware/software products retroactively is criminal - I don't care what any EULA says, it is simply illegal.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I just wish OtherOS was available for the slim units, and I'm sure the people running the clusters probably do too. Since as units go down, replacing them with slim-units saves space, electricity, and heat.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I did wonder about these 'super-computers' when I heard about Fony removing the OtherOS feature :(
  9. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Isn't a core i7 not more energy efficient per task than CELL anyway ?
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yeah but try building a core i7 system in a box the size of a PS3 for as cheap as a PS3.

remember that these consoles are sold under cost price, so that they can make the money back on the games.
  11. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Hmm maybe intel should do a little of their under the table deals.
  12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Any chance of flashing new PS3's with older firmware? That should work unless there are other hardware related changes involved where doing this would turn PS3 into useless pile of chips...
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    even if you could, you couldnt do it to a slim - there is no firmware for those that includes otherOS support.
  14. DrPepper

Thanks Received:
    Well the guy who hacked the PS3 managed to hack OtherOS back onto the units that had it removed by new firmware :)
  15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I'm betting theres a huge contract signed with the Air Force, and I'm sure somewhere in all that fine writing it says "you can't have some hacker come there and hack your thousand or more consoles". And even if there wasn't, doubt the Air Force would have it done anyways.
  16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's what they get for investing in Sony. They've always been two-bit backstabbers. No surprises here. XD
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    IMO the PS3 is first a gaming console and second an entertainment unit and third a folding unit.

I really don't see why Sony would have to do anything to make the Air Force or anyone else happy. The unit isn't marketed to do what these groups are doing. It just so happens that the PS3 was a cost effective solution to meet their needs...it no longer is.

If anything the AF might be able to work out a special deal with Sony (for a price of course) to give them older models with other OS support down the road on some exchange program. Who knows.
  18. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Sony is costing the USAF a lot of money. That's the only reason they need to file a lawsuit.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well since they bought over 2000 consoles, there has to be a contract and in that contract and the contracts of others who bought massive amounts of consoles only for distributed computing theres almost definitely something that should have prevented this, I think that Sony will be forced to do something for the distributed computed side like do special RMA's with otherOS enabled otherwise they will be in court before too long against companies and organizations with alot of money and pull.
  20. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    sony is a large and powerful corporation. you would think they would make an exception here for such a large and powerful client...
  21. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You would think the US Air Force would be able to make otherOS work on a PS3 anyways.:ohwell:
  22. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt very much that Sony gave them a contract any different to the EULA that you see on each and every PS3 (unless they worked out a payment deal, but that's different). As mentioned, the PS3 is a gaming machine first, an entertainment unit second, and (now that the other OS option was removed) a paperweight third.
    George Hotz hacked the firmware on new and old versions to re-enable the other OS ability, but a government branch would never use it, it breaks the EULA, which means it's illegal. Even if the USAF can beat a lawsuit, it would be a waste of time and money.
    I'm just surprised that the USAF didn't use the PS3s as a stop-gap solution, and go and talk to IBM or Sony directly about creating custom system to their specifications. If the graphics chip doesn't need to be as powerful as the one in the PS3, they could easily save money and electricity (saving even more money) by getting a system based around the Cell processor, a specified amount of RAM, and a basic graphics processor for 2D. Have a SAN serving files and code for all of those systems, and money is saved, time is saved, and USAF has less of a pain in the ass.

Either that or get like MILLIONS of Atom CPUs, and make a cluster that takes up just a cupboard.
    WhiteNoise says thanks.
  23. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    not without breaking sony's terms of service agreement. at least not publicly.
  24. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt the USAF has a contract with Sony. I highly suspect that the USAF just went out and bought a shit load of PS3's through any vendor channel they could find.
  25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy new console, flash with old firmware.