1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft announces "Anno 2070"

Discussion in 'Games' started by Black Panther, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ubisoft's long running Anno RTS franchise returns to PC this winter, with the action moving out of the history books and into the future.

Anno 2070, developed by series mainstay Related Designs with help from Blue Byte, sees you mastering new technologies to colonise a world ravaged by global warming.

There will be two factions to choose from: the industry-focussed Tycoons (boo!) or eco-friendly tree-huggers known as the Ecos (yay!).

Related Designs are promising a "dynamic world" that evolves differently depending on how you use your resources.

As ever, you can expect a single player campaign, an endless mode in which you strive to maintain as large a civilisation as possible, and an array of as yet undefined multiplayer scenarios.

"Anno 2070 is a very ambitious game that will feel both familiar and fresh to fans of the series," insisted Ubisoft brand director Caroline Stevens.

"Due to the game's futuristic setting, the development team wasn't restricted by historical boundaries and was able to dream bigger than ever before. It's a new take on a great franchise that both newcomers and longtime fans will love."

The last title in the franchise, Anno 1404, arrived back in October 2009.

"If a gentle and rewarding management sim with a hint of tropical sunshine is what you're after," wrote Eurogamer's Dan Pearson in his 8/10 review, "then you won't go far wrong with this."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source

2. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Looks like my kind of game :)

3. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I never played 1404, but this one seems to appeal more to me generally. what is the gameplay like say in comparison to Civ5?

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm definitely interested. Dawn of Discovery was excellent.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. EvolvA

EvolvA New Member

Thanks Received:
    god, a cannot wait for this, I loved 1404 so much it's almost painful having to wait for this one:cry:

6. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    civ5 is turn based this is RTS.. so its like apples to chickens.

Excited for this tho, play the shit out of anno with my friends on lan. Co-op mode with the 3 of us each running an island.

7. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Ubisoft. What's the DRM gonna look like?

8. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Game looks pretty damn good, I may have to check out the other Anno's(Annos?). It just seems weird that they're going BACK in time with the other Anno games, wouldn't that mean less/worse technology?

9. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The Anno series plays differently from Civ, because its real time. I liked the last Anno game I played, but after some time things get soo complicated that its almost impossible to keep track of everything.

10. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Eh, yeah. Ubisoft employs one of the worst DRM methods which is that you must have an internet connection all the time since their recent games communicate their authorization sever constantly.

I played the latest Settler and my game locked up numerous times because my connection wasn't stable.

Then I played Hawk which had a similar, but slightly improved, DRM. (It didn't lock up but refused to go to next strage.)

After those two, I ain't gonna buy any gaems from Ubisoft. They are worse than EA.

11. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Garbage but TPB version should be good. :eek:

12. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    Big fan of all the Anno games. have them all, so i'll get be getting this when it comes out.

13. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    yay, I was hoping for new anno and here it is. Played too many of anno games in past starting from first 1602 was it.And finished with 1404 still got it on PC havnt tried new addon but still game rocks.

14. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't like turn based RTS anyways, the last Civ I played was Civilization 2 in like 1998. I remember we were doing some play in 5th or 6th grade and I convinced the teacher to use the CD-ROM (which had playable tracks!) as the soundtrack for the play. I didn't play the game that much though. The only turn based strategy game that I loved the SHIT out of was Lords of the Realm 2.

That being said can Anno have some long online battles? I don't particularly care for the rushing aspect of Starcraft 2, I was always the guy in the "2v2 NR20" rooms on the first Starcraft. I like actually strategizing and having small skirmishes until things go down hardcore. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE SC2, I would much prefer a longer match than being rushed in 5 minutes though.

I like it complicated...to a point. I don't want to have to manage building taxes, population control (not having too many people drafted into war, damaging morale, etc.), overall I don't want SimCity in a RTS. Is that Anno?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to explain my dilemma in buying it.

15. Chryonn

Chryonn

Thanks Received:
    it has similarities to SimCity. Moreso than Starcraft 2. in Anno you build up colonies/cities on islands, the AI does the same. you can trade with the AI and with your other cities. the battle aspect usually involves buying or making naval ships to attack other players' ships and their ports. there's quite a bit of miicro-management involved