1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft's new uncrackable, intrusive, and annoying DRM cracked in under 24 hours...

Discussion in 'Games' started by newtekie1, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    http://www.infoaddict.com/ubisofts-new-drm-cracked-in-under-25-hours

jmcslob, ste2425, oli_ramsay and 23 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Irish_PXzyan

Irish_PXzyan

Thanks Received:
    That quick? lmao!

3. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    I don't condone what they do, and you'll probably never hear this from me again, but this once, I'm just going to say it: Skid-Row, well done.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You know, I'm probably one of the few that is actually fine with most DRM in games. I'm fine with CD checks, serial numbers, and even some of the more invasive stuff like Starforce. I'm even fine with online activation, provided it is handled properly(think Windows activation, where I can call a 800 number quickly and get the copy re-activated if need).

However, in this isntance, I think the DRM has gone too far, and am glad it was cracked so quickly.

I probably would have even accepted this DRM if it was just a matter of needing to re-authenticate every few hours of game play. But saving the game on their servers, and needing a 100% constant internet connection is way too far for even me.

freakshow and TIGR say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I condone what they do. They are harmless hackers, and it's a waste of money for companies to produce DRM code. Thanks for saying what we're all thinking though.

shevanel, heky, Velvet Wafer and 2 others say thanks.
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love skid-row : ]

I completely condone skid-row and other hackers who help support gamers in their special way!

shevanel and heky say thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Everyone is until DRM prevents them from playing a legitimately purchased game. The industry is fueling the pirate flames.

Usually pirates are like drug runners: they make an illegal product and have distribution chains, suppliers, and dealers. The industry has created a digital pirate--those born from wanting to make a copy for themselves but discover it doesn't work when they do. The usual pirates are dangerous to an industry, the digital pirate only exists as a response to the industry. It is a problem they created and a problem they can easily fix; however, they refuse because they can't see that the digital pirate they created is helping the usual pirate make millions.

TRIPTEX_CAN says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    I don;t mind DRM, as I purchase all my games, but I am appalled that Ubi has gone this far. We just recently moved and my internet connection will not be hooked up for OVER A WEEK. (using the one at work now). If all my games had this bullsh*t I would be stuck playing peggle or something. SHAME UBI!!! SHAME!!! Congrats to Skid on a job well done.

Kei says thanks.
  9. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    So much money investing in drm only to be undone in 24 hours? A joke, no less! Thinking about it, they could have invested the money in making a better sp, mp or whatever, if pirates see the love that the game has got from the devs, they would have bought the game (like stardock did with Sins of a solar empire, at least they got some good money)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Lol I simply did not see that coming. Just about spat my drink out.

11. Lubna

Lubna

Thanks Received:
    Two black candles for Ubisoft!!! :D

12. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    this is what i dont understand, why would my copy be legit one minute then pirated the next?:confused: This isnt like PB making sure your not hacking...its making sure the game that was legit 4 seconds ago is still legit.......:wtf: wtf? I see absolutely no reason for it to have to be connected 24/7 other then to royally piss off the people who buy the game. I swear companies are doing this shit on purpose just so it gets cracked and pirated to hell so they can turn around to their investors with a valid reason to leave the pc market behind........you wait and see

lemonadesoda says thanks.
  13. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    I hate DVD protection like Starforce, DRM and other garbage. I bought Splinter Cell chaos Theory recently to play on my netbook. I've installed it using external DVD reader, which I've borrowed from my frind. To play without DVD I must use cracks.
    It's not the first game that I'm glad it was cracked. I think a lot of people that have oryginal game use cracks to get rid of CD-Checks and Starforce stuff. Thank God for pirate-crackers!

One more thing:
    How to not use pirate games if in my country - Poland if services like Games for Windows LIVE and XBOX Live just don't work. I cannot play in Unreal Tournament III and Gears Of War because Microsoft think, that all gamers from Poland are pirates. ARRR!!! That makes my angry. ARRR!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  14. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    They're Ubi... Does French ring a bell?

15. mdsx1950

mdsx1950 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol too bad for Ubi. Piracy will NEVER stop. So companies might as well stop wasting time and money on copy protection etc lol.

16. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    Your point being?? :mad:

17. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    My point being that the most stubborn and old-fashioned people I know are French. I don't really want to get personal here, so I won't elaborate.

18. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    dont forget that they eat frogs :laugh: weirdos

19. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    I'm a french Quebecer and I resent that :nutkick: :p

20. Loosenut

Loosenut

Thanks Received:
    The only frog's legs I eat are my wife's :p

21. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Which is exactly why I didn't get more into it.
    Let's just say I've seen, and heard, too many bad, stupid, ignorant and stubborn things concerning French, or French speaking, people.

The fact that you do speak decent English makes up for a lot though :)

22. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:

Super true, like anon hackers do it for the lulz.

So as soon as something new comes out they'll hack it, probably not even to play the game either!

23. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    For example the game is played by 10 mil people from which 1 mil would buy the game and other would just use pirated one. Yes that is not fair to the company who created the game.
    But what if the company invents some super anticrack software that prevents those 9 mil pirated versions ?
    It will endup with 1 mil legal players very irritated and those 9 mil people simply would not play and buy that game because it is not their way.
    So the final result is not sold more copies just punished people who bought the game.
    I don`t see how this would help some company to make money.

I would like to present a theory to those greedy game makers. How about slicing the price in half and selling 3 time more copies. That sound like win/win situation for everybody.

24. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    The biggest mistake that protection makers do and would never learn is "NEVER SAY IT IS UNBREAKABLE!!!" you don`t want to motivate bored hackers :D.

25. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Spot on..... they could have actually saved their money they spent on the DRM and actually released a cheaper game that more gamers could afford which in itself would have reduced pirating levels....... whilst I understand companies wanting to protect their huge investment, in all walks of life.... if you price your product correctly, more people make a purchase.