• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu 9.10 Codenamed ''Karmic Koala'', Eying Cloud-Computing and Netbooks

System Name Fedora-bluesky
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus 970A Pro Gaming
Cooling Noctua U14S
Memory Kingston 2x8192MB 667MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 960TI
Storage 2 x WD RED 2TB, 64GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 24"
Software Ubuntu, Fedora, Open Source Software...
Was that with a recent version of Ubuntu? Lately the display engine has been getting so bulletproof that it'll run at least a small display on anything I've seen...

It was 8.04.1 on Gigabyte board with 740G int. graphics. After few unsuccessful X starts up and some screen flickering I was dropped to terminal... :shadedshu seems this graphics/BIOS isn't VESA standard compliant.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
I don't recall the exact error message. Something about it being unable to enumerate USB device on port 2 and then it would cycle through various USB ports and then switch to some other error message about not being able to see drives. On a past board (MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum) it wouldn't recognize my drives because of the jmicron IDE controller it used which caused me several hours of frustration because of my somewhat anemic Linux knowledge. So when it started giving me grief this time I said to myself, "Fedora 10 is installed and working great just use that" and didn't write down the error messages or do any research to try to resolve the problem. I did remove all USB devices except my keyboard which did not fix the problem.

Anyway I'm not looking for a fix and I'm not saying it's a bad OS because it was okay when it worked, but I don't think it brings anything to the table that Fedora or Suse don't have. I guess I've just had weird configurations but Ubuntu as the "Ultimate Noob Friendly Distribution" just hasn't been true for me. I've actually found the other distributions to be just as easy or easier.

Well, you're obviously a Fedora fan, so I'm not going to try and convert you. :laugh: I have to say, though, there had to be something unusual about your setup or the Ubuntu disk you were using (stuff has changed quite a bit from version to version), because I've never encountered anything like that.

And as to what Ubuntu brings to the table? I'll agree with you there -- there's nothing new technologically, at least. Structurally it's the same as any Debian installation, and all Linux is similiar to each other in the end.

Where Ubuntu shines is in the community, the very prominent founder's vision (his money doesn't hurt, either), and most importantly (as Apple can vouch), the marketing. :D

It was 8.04.1 on Gigabyte board with 740G int. graphics. After few unsuccessful X starts up and some screen flickering I was dropped to terminal... :shadedshu seems this graphics/BIOS isn't VESA standard compliant.

Well, that stinks. Bad of ATI to do that, but you can't blame Ubuntu for that. :(