1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu 9.10 Codenamed ''Karmic Koala'', Eying Cloud-Computing and Netbooks

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 22, 2009.

1. blueskynis

blueskynis New Member

Thanks Received:
    It was 8.04.1 on Gigabyte board with 740G int. graphics. After few unsuccessful X starts up and some screen flickering I was dropped to terminal... :shadedshu seems this graphics/BIOS isn't VESA standard compliant.

2. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, you're obviously a Fedora fan, so I'm not going to try and convert you. :laugh: I have to say, though, there had to be something unusual about your setup or the Ubuntu disk you were using (stuff has changed quite a bit from version to version), because I've never encountered anything like that.

And as to what Ubuntu brings to the table? I'll agree with you there -- there's nothing new technologically, at least. Structurally it's the same as any Debian installation, and all Linux is similiar to each other in the end.

Where Ubuntu shines is in the community, the very prominent founder's vision (his money doesn't hurt, either), and most importantly (as Apple can vouch), the marketing. :D

Well, that stinks. Bad of ATI to do that, but you can't blame Ubuntu for that. :(