1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ubuntu + enlightenment

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Easy Rhino, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    hey so i got bored of using kdebase on ubuntu so i decided to try enlightment. it works great! its a very nice interface and it is fast.

btw, let me say that command line install is the way to go if you know what you are doing. i installed just the base OS then installed xorg, added my ati fglrx driver and installed e17 (enlightenment) + kdm. from there i install the few packages i use xchat/swiftfox/azureus/xmms/mplayer/k3b/klibido and away i go. a fresh and clean system with no clutter and a nice interface. give it a try!!! oh and dont be afraid of using kde or gnome specific packages with enlightenment.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I didn't really like Enlightenment the last time I tried it. Might have to give it another go.
  3. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    cool, i've never ventured beyond the realms of KDE and Gnome.

I don't suppose you can guess as to how it easy it is to swap between say gnome and e17 on an Ubuntu install?
  4. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    I was going to install ubuntu/kubuntu.Does it offer dual-boot option with windows xp ?Xp already installed on partition 3.
  5. Oliver_FF

Oliver_FF New Member

Thanks Received:
    the ubuntu installer is really comprehensive, lets you fiddle with and pick partitions when you install it to ensure it goes where you want it
  6. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Sure but does it have an option like "boot to previous operating system" ?
  7. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the "Alternate" installation CD, rather than the Live CD. You get better visibility and control of the process. But the Live CD is a good way to do a basic check that your hardware doesn't have any huge compatibility issues.

"No" to the "previous OS" question, but you can simply set it up to "dual boot" configuration -- a boot menu is presented and you pick which OS you want to boot into. Here's a good site for a lot of info including dual boot installation and partition planning:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

:)
  8. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea using the alternate disc and then installing the command line really is the way to go if you are familiar with linux/bsd. i manually install everything and eliminate all clutter. and i dont be afraid to try enlightenment because you can always switch back to gnome or kde. that is what kdm/gdm is for. ive also been messing around with fluxbox and i have to say it is really fast. no eye candy and very small memory footprint. you have to do a lot of configuration thought but it is fun if you into it.
  9. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Did have OSX installed on a partition but then it SNAFU`ED and now I`m wondering what to do with the empty space.
  10. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can also get E17 as the default desktop on elive here:

http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Download/Development/

Try the "night" theme -- you might like it. :)

Get the "development" version for free -- it's pretty stable in my experience, and hardware-friendly. Don't let the "only for testing" stuff bother you. :laugh: