1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu + MX 420 = 640x480 res (with the restricted drivers enabled!)

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Error 404, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, my friend wanted his PCI FX 5200 back, so I had to put the MX 420 back into my Dell.
    It booted into 640x480, so I installed the restricted drivers.
    It installed fine, but no luck, its still stuck at 640x480.
    Does anyone know a way to force ubuntu to recognize that I have a 1440x900 display plugged in?
  2. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    No guarantees for that old card, but I would get out of X (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a tty console and log in there), shut down the X server with
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    and then use the Nvidia X configuration utility to write a new xorg.conf file

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    Then try a startx and see what you get. If you get a decent screen but the wrong resolution, you can run
    Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    and change the resolution. Sometimes running "detect displays" helps too -- then click the "Save to X Configuration File" button and save it.
  3. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've created the second file, but "gksudo nvidia-settings" does not allow me to edit it. I've tried it in the terminal with X-window operating, and then in the Ctrl+Alt+F1 terminal. I got this response:
    Code:
    (gksodu:7520): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Would I be able to edit the file with the text editor?

UPDATE:

Never mind, I accidentally stumbled on the solution!
    Using the "sudo shutdown" command, I shut down the computer from terminal mode. It shut down to some sort of menu, and one of the options was "Fix xwindow" or something similar. I chose that, and it re-detected my hardware and monitor.
    Its working fine!
  4. DIBL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool. It's using the "nv" driver, which is fine for that card. Just don't waste your time trying to run 3D stuff like Compiz, and it will do just fine. :)