1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubuntu Phones. They're coming.

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by WhiteLotus, Jan 3, 2013.

1. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    I read this yesterday, certainly looks interesting. Anyone think it'll have the power to pull it off? I can't imagine what it would be like to have a phone running Ubuntu, but seeing as it's free I can see a lot of people from Android who have rooted their phones to trying it out.

2. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu was too clunky and Mac-like for me when I installed it, so I probably won't bother. That and with the base Android has, I don't see it going away for a LONG time.

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i dont know why anyone would need ubuntu on their phone. i have android and it runs everything just fine. a bit bloated but it's not like i game on the thing...

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I read in another story that this won't be readily available until early 2014.

5. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    i think i read the same article. that is a long ways away. i welcome more linux based phones but i really dont see this one sticking.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    It looks similar to android but my guess would be more resource hogging and bloated to hell with crap. There was a version from the thunderbolt but the file size took up the whole ROM space on the phone so once you even got it flashed it would not allow for more apps to be installed unless you used a SDcard

Crunching for Team TPU