1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UEFI resetting itself?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Improv, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Improv New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys I'm having a really annoying issue that is driving me crazy right now.

It seems that the UEFI for the Asus P8Z77-V PRO resets itself then when you change the settings it doesn't stick in OS until you reset CMOS.

The board is about half a year old and I'm not sure what's causing it. I reflashed the bios and I get the same thing. I don't think it's the battery because I can shut it down all the way, unplug it, and when I turn it back on it's fine. But randomly when you restart it forgets the settings.

Sometimes it forgets half the settings.

So what happens is the clock speeds become screwed up as well with all monitoring software reporting the wrong clock speed no matter what you do unless you reset the CMOS. So the setting would stick in UEFI but not in the OS. It seems really screwed up. I really need the comp and can't afford to send the motherboard to Asus since I have deadlines and I can't afford to buy a new board right now :(

Asus P8Z77-V PRO
    Intel 2500k
    Crucial 16GB ram
    NZXT Halo 90 850 watt
    GTX 680 4 GB

Any suggestions? Thank you.
  2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'd try replacing the battery. They're relatively cheap to buy and it's always good to have a spare on hand anyway.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Improv New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could it be that it went bad in less than a year?

I just find it strange that I can do a complete shut down, unplugging it as well but it remembers the settings. But randomly resets either everything or half of it. Then when you change it, it sticks in the UEFI but Windows reports completely random stuff unless you reset CMOS.
  4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If the motherboard has a wiring problem, it could be dead in 6 weeks. I had that happen. :(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    BIOS issue. Fix is in testing. Changes not taking place in windows but retained in BIOS are what make me say that, BTW. Might be a little bit before it rolls out to all boards.