1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultimate flight sim/gaming PC

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Moby, Oct 29, 2011.

1. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind something like an H100 is a lot easier to install for noobs in a lot of cases. The block is so small and easy to install on all the corsair LCS setups. It's a lot simpler than installing a tower cooler, IMO. They also don't really have to worry about air flow direction and messing with the RAM if it doesn't fit properly. Just sayin'...

2. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Thats true. My Noctua's a beasty. it weighs almost 3 pounds, and covers all 2 of my RAM slots. But in its defense, its the best air cooler, and the fan on that side is moveable. (Also, I installed the heatsink backwards, :banghead::banghead::banghead: so being asymetrical it sticks out more than it would if installed correctly. Since I did that, I didn't want to take it off and deal with thermal paste again, so I just put the fans on the other sides. )

LordJummy says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Totally agree. I have a NH-D14 also that is currently not in use. It is an awesome air cooler, definitely the best I have ever used. I don't see why people buy other high end air coolers when this thing is available and so amaazing :p

If he is mechanically inclined he shouldn't have too much trouble following the instructions. The LCS coolers are really easy to install though. It really depends on what he wants I guess. Either way you go you can use custom fans and have a super silent cooler. The NH-D14 may offer better cooling with low RPM silent fans though. It would definitely be my top recommendation for air cooling.

I might go through newegg and do my idea of a good build for him.

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    You want redundancy in the HD, add another one for RAID, the money is there in the budget. Persanally I prefer to have a fast SSD for the OS and the most used programs and a good big HD for storage. The case is the one the OP said he wanted. Personally I'd reuse my Lian Li if I was building this for myself.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I also backup my SSD array on my HDD array to give some redundancy :p

I find that tower coolers are pretty easy to install. Plus, he is mechanically inclined so it shouldn't even be a problem, and he has someone that will help him build it.

6. Moby New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc5VFnytm3o

That's about as high end a cooler as I think I'm gonna find. Installation looks pretty simple.

Pretty impressive. Thanks fella's I'm gettin more excited than a young stud in the spring!

7. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it only took me maybe fifteen minutes to install, including removal and reapplication of thermal paste. Its a great cooler.

BTW, I like your analogies :roll:

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Irony says thanks.
  9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    meh, I suggest he waits till Black Friday weekend if he decides to buy anything early... Case, PSU, monitors, fans, CPU cooler, DVD-RW and accessories (ie wireless card), and perhaps even RAM, are all OK to buy if you find great deals.

10. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    I use FSX pretty avidly, and CPU power is very important. My main rig consists of:

• i5 2500K at 4.5Ghz (Turbo, 1.6Ghz on idle)
    • 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    • GTX580 1.5GB

I use a few addons to enrich the flight experience:

• Ultimate Traffic X
    • REX 2.0
    • FSDreamTeam O'Hare Airport
    • FSDreamTeam McCarran Airport (Las Vegas)
    • Aerosoft Las Vegas scenery
    • Numerous aircraft addons

At first I was using a i7 920 setup at 4GHz, then I switched to the i5. the i5 is far superior and made a noticeable difference in performance, even running at stock clocks. I have found that 4.5Ghz gives the added boost to maintain high frame rates while using all these addons. I also run with scenery and weather effects maxed out with traffic around 60% at the airports (anymore and the airports become too busy).

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    How multi-threaded is FSX?

12. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Its quad threaded like crysis. meaning very little performance increase between dual and quad from what I read.

13. Moby New Member

Thanks Received:

Could I please ask some one to explain the difference between i5 and i7?
    The poster says i5 gives him better results. I assume i7 is a newer version.
    sorry, I came to this forum cuz ya'll know a good bit more than I. I hope this isn't a stupid question.

14. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    He had an older architecture i7 920, and upgraded to a newer revised version which is the i5 2500k (Notice the difference in Model numbers). There is also a i7 2600k and i7 2700k.

There are technical cases were a game only uses a certain amount of CPU CORES and a higher clocked LOWER CORE (i5) CPU will give better performance.

In this case above however, he upgraded to a newer i52xxx series 2500k, which overall overclocked better, probably had slightly better utilization, and overall was faster then his previous(older series) i7 920, which clocked nicely, but could not meet the new kid on the block.

Overall, maybe if he grabbed an i7 2600k(newest production i7) that overall would overclock within 10-5% as this person's i5, he would have even "BETTER" performance.
    (older line of chips)
    i5750
    i5760
    i7920
    i7940
    i7960
    i7970
    (newer line of chips)
    i52400k
    i52500k
    i72600k
    i72700k
    The newer chips from INTEL, usually offer better overclock ability and numbers, better overall clock for clock performance, added features from previous series, and overall a better CPU Processors(or as our tech minds talk) Chips.

15. Moby New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I want an i72700 right? That's the latest big bull on the ranch?

16. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, or the i7 2700k, but its a little more expensive. Price difference is less than $50 most places, don't know if that would justify it. maybe an Intel nut can say what the difference is, if any other than the higher stock clock.

Edit: I feel stupid. I though you said 2600. :shadedshu

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    No you want the i7 3800K or i7 3900K series, which are coming out in a few days... They will be the best and latest

The 3800 series is 4 core and the 3900 series is 6 core... So far, from what I understand, you probably want the 3900 series, more specifically the 3930K.

Irony says thanks.
  18. Moby New Member

Thanks Received:

Does that really slick cooler fit on this CPU?

19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    You should choose the cooler only once LGA 2011 comes out, as of right now, not many LGA 2011 coolers exist. We don't know all the coolers that will include a LGA 2011

Moby says thanks.
  20. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    The only difference is the i7 has Hyper-threading, while the i5 doesn't. In my experience, Hyper-threading has no impact on games, even mutli-threaded ones.

21. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    some say hyperthreading affects some games negatively. I haven't noticed it myself, but I also haven't tried disabling HT for gaming. Maybe I should sometime to see.

22. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    The impact that HT can have negatively is extremely small, and barely noticeable when measuring FPS. It is only in a few games. Most games see little impact unless they are well multi-threaded, when they see a good improvement