1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ultra fan commander issues, workaround?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by randomperson21, Aug 1, 2006.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all!

I just got my Ultra Fan Commander in today (thanks TPU for the great deal! $5!) and so far, so good.

The unit has 7 3-pin connectors on the rear, allowing you to plug in a grand total of 7 fans (d'oh!). Problem is, 5 of my 7 case fans are 7 pin molex fans w/o rpm sense.

Not being afraid of a little soldering work, i quickly hacked off the end of one of the molex fans, and resoldered it onto the 3 pin cable, ignoring the rpm sense (yellow) wire.
    OK, so far, so good.

The problem is, the fanbus detects fans by their rpm sense cable. So i plug in the haxor'd fan, it spins up, but the fan controller doesn't know its there. I can't change the speed or anything.
    Worse, the fan is running at something like 5v, the fanbus's low setting. theres no way for me to crank it up to high at all.

so...

if any of you have had any experience with this controller, help would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a workaround? Faking the sense signal to the fanbus? I'm running out of ideas...

Perhaps some new 3 pin fans are in order. grah i need more money......

2. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    Well, after a bit more thought, i'm thinking its going to be pretty darn hard to fake a fan sense signal.
    So, new fan time.
    Budget is pretty tight, but i wanted to get some opinions first. Comments on any of these?
    Silverstones These are a bit expensive, $30 for 5 after shipping
    Arctic Cooling Bout the same as the silverstones
    Cooler Masters Cheapist, comes in a 6 pack.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap fan set that can push a ton of air. Its OK if its sort of loud, because i can always tone them down with my fan controller (that DOESN'T work with my regular fans. GRRR:shadedshu )

3. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    anyone?

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope, no one...

Jk, get the AC fans, better than SilverStones, and gets air from the side...

5. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    drat.

oh well, i could always ask.