1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultra Lifetime Warranty in Canada? - Yeah Right.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dadi_oh, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I picked up an Ultra X-Finity 600W supply from Tigerdirect.ca in February for my son's machine. Seemed like a good deal at the time for $49. So 8 months later the fans decide they need to run on high speed all the time. Very very annoying. Don't know if the supply is about to go "Poof" so I call Ultra since these things have a lifetime warranty right?

Well the good news is Ultra sends me a replacement supply. They don't make the POC X-Finity supply anymore (wonder why) so they ship me a LSP750 supply. That's the good news.

The bad news is, I am on the hook to pay for shipping the defective supply back to the USA (illinois to be precise). $18 for shipping a defective $49 supply :shadedshu. If I happened to live in the USA, Ultra would have the supply picked up for free by UPS but Canadians have no such treatment. I contacted Ultra support and got the following response:

"Ultra and Tiger Direct are sister companies is all. we are not related. they sell are products. but since you live in Canada and Ultra is based in the United States and not in Canada we can not cover the shipping for this.

if you wish to call Tiger and see if they will cover it since they have an office in Canada you can do that. but Ultra can not cover the shipping or refund said shipping since we are based solely in the USA."

So be warned. If you are Canadian and buying Ultra and relying on the warranty be prepared to shell out for shipping. Something that they won't tell you before you buy.

As for me... Ultra will not get another dime from me for power supplies or any other low end product they sell.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    With any RMA I've done, the customer is almost always expected to pay for shipping. Generally, with a phone call or two this can be worked out. Be firm, don't cave into them. My 2 cents.

3. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why didnt you rma to tigerdirect ? you purchased it less than a year ago so you should still have the right to as they should honor the first year of the warranty.

and tbh i dont see whats so unfair, they sent a replacement in fact they sent a better product, you have to pay to ship the other one back ? seems fair to me :twitch:

4. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tiger only covers the first 30 days. After that you go to Ultra directly.

Yeah, they did send me a replacement so that works in their favor. Just seems that since Ultra and Tiger are joined at the hip and Tiger is selling out of Canada that they should offer similar support as for our US cousins.

Could be too high an expectation on my part. Just a little peeved ATM. I'll get over it.

Now, if the 750W supply only lasts 8 months I'll be peeved again...

5. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did try contacting Ultra customer support and the email reply is firm that they will not do anything for me. Fair enough. I can vote with my future dollars anyways.

6. timta2

Thanks Received:
    As someone who worked in a service department for years, 99% of the time the customer pays for shipping to the company and the company pays for shipping on the replacement product. There are some high end companies that totally cover all shipping, but that is rare and the customer usually pays for that up front (in the high price). I guess you can consider that you got a nice upgrade for the $18 you had to pay for shipping anyway. Seems fair to me.

7. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea, my buddy was in a similar situation with Sapphire, he got a dead radeon HD 3450 and the RMA department wanted $15 for RMA and shipping and he had to spend about $5 to ship to them. On a $30 card that sounds like a lot, he wound up throwing it in the garbage. So yea, lesson learned.

8. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guess I am learning the process. Never really had to do this before. If the Ultra rep had not told me they would cover the return shipping if I was in the US I probably wouldn't have been upset.

On the bright side I did get a more powerful supply for $18. I just hope it does not have the same reliability as the 600W POC.

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well i expect to have to pay the shipping RMA's well Newegg are the only ones i have delt with are the only ones i have not had too all though this is not for all items they have..

Sister but not related funny that. I guess they are adopted lol.

10. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't anything free here in Canada.