1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ultra MD3--very cool little gadget

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by MadCow, Jan 31, 2008.

1. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3298386

I just got mine in the mail, and it's so feature-packed for it's size, it's amazing. It has 2 temperature sensors, 2 fan controllers, 2 USB ports, a firewire port, headphone/mic jacks, 2 eSATA ports and a card reader, all in fitting in a 5.25" bay.

I was annoyed that it only showed temperatures in Fahrenheit, but when I opened it and looked around I saw a pair of solder points labeled "C/F", so I bridged them with some solder and it's showing temps in Celsius now. :D It's also really easy to remove any wires you don't need, all you have to do is open it up and unplug them from the board. I also found 2 other pairs of solder points, labeled JP1 and JP2, maybe later I'll try bridging those and seeing what happens.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  2. lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks pretty good man. I like the color and it seems pretty usefull.

3. CarolinaKSU New Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh, I will never purchase anything from the Ultra brand ever again. Bought an external hard drive case that was the worst piece of crap I've ever dealt with in my life. The thing had a fan on the back which sounded like a Johnson outboard after the bearings wore out in about a month, then got another one and the same thing happened, and then the 3rd one was giving my delayed write errors left and right.

My roomate bought also Ultra RAM for cheap as well, a big mistake. RMA'd twice before he bit the bullet and said screw it and sold the replacements on ebay to some sucker for half of what he paid.

4. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    This little guy is feature packed for sure.
    I have had only 1 experience with ultra. I bought a PSU and it did go bad in 4 months:mad:

5. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have Ultra RAM and it's fine, barely OCs, but it's stable. This thing is pretty cheaply built though, the card slots don't line up very well with the connectors, and it's all plastic. Also, one of the temperature sensors died after a few hours. It'll be too much of a hassle to RMA though, I have all the wires nice and hidden so I'll do that later, I still have 3 years left on the warranty. :D

6. strick94u

strick94u New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool device

7. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    these things are great if you dont mind all the extra cables all over your case.