1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unable to Boot Windows Install

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jth133, Sep 27, 2007.

1. jth133 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I just built my first computer, put everything together, turned it on, and inserted the Windows XP disk I had from a previous comp. The problem is, all I get is "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." I don't know what the problem is. I thought I might be missing a cord to the DVD drive (all I have attached to it are the power cable and the master cable), but I don't think there are anymore that would fit. This is the drive I'm using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152076 ...and I really hope it's not broken. Any help would really be appreciated.
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    go in bios and set your boot device priority to dvd drive then hard drive so it will boot the windows disk first
  3. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    And make sure AHCI is not enabled.
  4. Atomic77 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm I don't have any experience in building computers but I doubt there even is a bios yet :)
  5. jth133 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I went into BIOS and changed the priority--same thing. I'm not sure what the AHCI is, but I'll try and find it and disable it.

I don't know if this is relevant, but it's showing the DVD drive as the slave. Shouldn't it be the master drive, since it's the only one I have?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007
  6. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    All motherboards come from the factory with a BIOS. Otherwise they would be completely non-functional.
  7. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    try this: unplug anything you have connected to USB, short of your mouse and keyboard. Disconnect all drives except the one that you have your OS on. If it still gives you the same message, put in your OS cd and do a repair on the istallation. try repair MBR and see if its able to boot after that.