1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Uncontrollable opening of File/Edit/View/Tools/___ menu...

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Soylent Joe, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been having this problem for at least a month now, and it's getting really annoying. Basically, while I'm using a program, the File/Edit/View/Tools/etc. menu will randomly open. I'm not accidentally pressing any buttons or anything, it just happens. While I'm typing on here (Firefox), before I know it I'll be pressing enter on one of those menus and crazy stuff will be happening. While I'm in Paint or CS3 using a toolbrush or something, it will cut off my paint supply and up top a menu will be open. It even happens in iTunes, WMP, OpenOffice, and Vuze (maybe more, but I can remember instances with those programs). Also, sometimes while I'm typing it will give me a ding and cut off my ability to type until I click the field. This whole thing seems to come and go. For example, right now one of those things I told about are happening at least once every 30 sec. But other times, it seems I can go a day with no problems. I've scanned with MSE and MWB but neither find anything bad. So, I'm up to any suggestions and hopefully you guys can help me out. :ohwell:

2. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Curious. What keyboard are you using?

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would guess the Alt button is acting up on your keyboard, try a different keyboard.

95Viper, Soylent Joe and Papahyooie say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Almost certainly the problem. Alternatively, try cleaning out the keys on your current keyboard with a can of air duster.

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  5. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright I'll take it to the shop and blow it out tomorrow. It's a Saitek Eclipse.

Edit: I tried tapping the button hard to knock anything loose, shaking it upside down a little bit, then shot it with the canned air and it's still messing up :/ I will still take the air compressor to it tomorrow though.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Not sure, but I seem to remember some stories about that keyboard doing something like this were after a while it will randomly process a keystroke you never made. I can't confirm that and I agree to just get a different keyboard and use it for a few days and see if the issue stops. If it does, buy a new keyboard.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Soylent Joe says thanks.
  7. Baum

Thanks Received:
    and sometimes usb hubs do that just use a usb hub, any to be honest on my laptop and it will behave like this if my mice (microsoft wireless optical Mouse 3000) is not direcly connected.
    It will klick right without anyone on the pc, same with random usb keyborads activating "Num" all the time. ( and NO Mice and KeyBrd are clean)

it might be related to usb drained power from too much or too less devices as connecting my chillmat to that hub solves the issue :).
    I found out that the voltages is very instable on some Hubs

Soylent Joe says thanks.
  8. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I blasted it with my air compressor today and I haven't had any problems so far. If it starts acting up again I'll know what's up. Thanks for the help guys. :toast:

9. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh lord, I found out what the problem was. I've been using this little program called Caffeine to keep my PC from sleeping or whatever while I'm leaving it on overnight or day so it can download or do whatever. Well, I was downloading it on another computer a little while ago and was looking at its notes and saw that it kept the computer awake by simulating a keypress every 59 seconds. That amount of time seemed to fit with how often my keyboard was freaking out, so I looked up what key it simulated. Low and behold it's the "right context menu" key, AKA the "Alt" key. I'm so glad I finally figured this out, it was driving me nuts. I was right in the middle of sending an email to Saitek about it too. :laugh:

10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Lol good to know, glad you got it fixed. I was about to agree with the keyboard theory as well. XD

11. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Why not just set the power settings to not put the computer to sleep...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  12. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have it on my flash drive so I just plug it into the computer that needs it, copy over the .exe, and run it whenever necessary. Sometimes I may want it to be able to sleep and other times not. Just convenience I guess.