1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

UNDER clock a Quad core???????????????

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by keakar, Aug 5, 2007.

1. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    i was wondering about using a Quad core and underclocking it to run super cool and actually require less cooling then stock, could it run stable being underclocked?

since most agree that a quad core is not used by programs yet, what about underclocking a q6600 to run cooler then a e6600 with better performance?
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  2. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it'll run stable, I see no gains performance wise, as there is a very limited set of applications that'll use the four cores, an E6600 at a higher clock than a Q6600 will be faster in 90% of applications.

The only advantage would be a silent system, and maybe a longer life span for your processor, though you may not even need that much of a life span, I still have a Celeron 500Mhz running at 587Mhz, and it's been like that for many years, by now that PC is only used as a word processor at my dad's office, you get my point?
  3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    You should have no issue underclocking ..but the only reason I would do such a thing is to generate less heat to the other components..are you having an Issue with a certain component running hot?
  4. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't have to necessarily underclock. You can also undervolt a cpu. It's the opposite of raising voltages. What you do is set the lowest voltage that your cpu can run at, like mine runs at .975 volts compared to stock's 1.175. Then if it's still not cool enough, you can underclock and drop voltages even lower.
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    well i was thinking (needs less cooling = less noise) so the underline idea is most silent operation with lots of cpu power. running a quad core idling at dual core performance levels might be better than running the dual core at normal performance levels settings.
  6. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    as i understand it

overclocking = overvolt

underclocking = undervolt

so i am talking about doing just what you said
  7. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try undervolting before underclocking because you can still mantain stock speeds while running a good bit cooler than stock.
  8. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    undervolting pwns! and you can oc and undervolt, atleast I can with my e6300 alot! I get 2.8ghz with like 1.28 or 1.26v stock being 1.325v and it bring s the temps down alot... just undervolt and if you cant post reset the bios and bump the volts up a bit.. when you can post and enter windows run orthos to see how stable it is for 20 mins than undervolt it a tad more and keep doing that till you hit a wall.. for your final test make sure its stable by running orthos for like 5 hours or 8.

some chips can undervolt more than others while overclocking take tiggers for example his chip pwns he can undervolt it and still overclock to like 3.4ghz.
  9. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Not always does one need to over volt to over clock as well as not always does one need to underclock when undervolting ...use minimal volts for what ever the clocks that equal stability.
  10. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:

Bold = yes

Underlined = no.

Unless you have something explicitly taking advantage of your quad cores, anything runing single or using 2 CPU's will not out perform a higher clocked dual core.

Since you would only be using 2 cores that are clocked slower, anyways ;)
  11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
  12. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    ok, so clocking and volting are two seperate animals then. (this is my confusion)

so my idea of idling a quad core so it hardly needs cooling and by default make a silent air cooled computer wont work?
  13. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    No no it will work....what I am saying is you may not need to underclock your CPU just becuase you drop the voltage thus kepping performance and reducing heat;):toast:;)
  14. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Let Intel Speedstep do the "underclocking" for you. There's no need for you to have to manage it.

To reduce heat/power then you can try undervolting. I found I could undervolt a Pentium M dothan quite a lot.
  15. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Why underclock? Just buy an Arctic Freezer for $30, it's way better than stock.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If he really wants quite he should buy a TR Ultra 120 extreme and mount a quite fan on it. Then undervolt it and keep it at stock speeds, that's almost guaranteed to keep it below 60.
  17. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    I know my CPU isn't a quad or a Intel but my stock v-core on my x2 is 1.35v and i can undervolt it to 1.22v and run 8hr dual orthos.Temps went down 8c!!!!Today i wanted something to do so i underclocked and undervolted my CPU i got 0.8v and clock speed to 640mhz and load temp on both cores was running 28c.
    Crunching for Team TPU