1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlimited Detail Technology

Discussion in 'Games' started by AphexDreamer, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I may contact some companies shortly. I am not sure if I'm gonna get a response, but it's worth a try!
    stinger608 says thanks.
  2. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Let me know which & I'll join in ;)
    (Unless you're talking about companies you have personal connections with or something.)

I really believe it's possible to get this acknowledged if we push a petition, or an emailing campaign.
    It'd definitely be worth it if we manage to get it up and going!
    stinger608 says thanks.
  3. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Exactly!!!! We shall go! Onward ho!
  4. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    I would agree! this is some awesome technology, and should be noted soon. If it goes by the way side, the original designer will be lost in the shuffle, and probably never noted for his or her development.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Too good to be true. But there's always hoping.
  6. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Ok, all that being said, where do we start?
    In all honesty I can't think of any gamer that would be against this! I'm confident that GPU makers wouldn't suffer too much because I believe the load reduction is a bit hyped. Even if not that hyped, I do believe that applying various things like light dynamics, animation, physics, etc will have significant enough load to keep the GPU makers very relevant. Besides that, the scale of games would likely leap to this new standard, then plateau and continue to grow, increasing load continuously. It would of course be better to have a lower load from games, decreasing power consumption and freeing up resources for other things like folding, enconding, etc.
    Basically I don't think GPUs & such will reach obsoletion due to something that would improve game rendering efficiency such as UDTech.
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Yes! Yes! Yes! GPUs are indeed used in other ways to not just render those companion cubes, or sexy khajiit or that +50 staff of penetration!

Serverbeach and PEER1 even use them for some of thier hosting services! (way cool!)

Folding, Video encoding, tomography, and financial data are being processed on GPUs!

So, no! I doubt if any GPU company will be hurting anytime soon!
  8. Swamp Monster

Swamp Monster

Thanks Received:
  9. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Looks very interesting but I'm not going to get my hopes up about it, not just yet.

It really makes absolute sense though because very little (perhaps even nothing) that occurs in nature has completely straight edges or flat surfaces, they are comprised of atoms (read: points).

I'd love to see a mix where what needs to be made of points can be, but polygons can still be used at the same time, given a lot of what we see in games are man made inventions.
  10. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree with you wolf in that this needs to be implemented alongside current methods, and according to the head of UDTech it can be.

I disagree on your saying you won't keep high hopes on it though. I think we as the graphics & tech enthusiast community need to push this thing so that the corporations don't cut it down and deny us what could possibly be an invaluable technology for fear of losing marginal profits.

There have been a few ideas/innovations I've seen now on the tech scene that people have just sat back about to watch and ultimately allowed to fade into oblivion. Let us join together to not let this be another casualty of profiteering corporations that ultimately depress the progress that we would be benefiting from! Together we can pressure them to accept this, I do believe so.
  11. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I have contacted one company (not disclosing name till I get anywhere)
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If anything this technology will get bought out by some company and we'll never hear of it again. It will be very slowly incorporated under a different name for maximum profit. We can't have low end cards with high end performance.
  13. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I have contacted Euclideon (the name that the Unlimited Technology guys go under) and told them that we're eager to push their cause.

@erocker: great performance on low end cards means nothing if there's mind-blowing performance on high end cards! ;)
    This technology has the potential to revolutionise the idea of acceptable graphics completely and rewrite the rendering performance we expect out of our graphics hardware!
  14. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    I've emailed AMD. Would you guys like me to put up what I said to them here?
  15. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Sure :)
  16. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Tell me what you think, this is it:
    stinger608 and remixedcat say thanks.
  17. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Fantastic mate! Well said!

Now it all depends on AMD's intentions. Either they will refuse to see the potential (give some BS for not doing it) or recognize the true potential this has and act on it. I can only hope its the latter.
    remixedcat says thanks.
  18. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Excellent! I hope to get somewhere with the companies I've contacted.
  19. copenhagen69

Thanks Received:
    amazing stuff there
  20. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    damn it, I keep getting a message in my email saying:
    Hmph... I've tried 4 or 5 times now, using 2 email addresses and different settings (http://emailcustomercare.amd.com/), but it keeps failing to send.... What now?

EDIT: just tried sending it from my email address directly to tech.support@amd.com and no failure notice so far.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    stinger608 says thanks.
  21. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the tech support email address will work InferKNOX! The customer care email may just be having some issues, and may be the reason for the failure to deliver. Hoping anyhow.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    JF-AMD should be able to give you a working/insider e-mail address if you ask him very very nicely...
  23. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys for backing my rather ambitious idea to have these bigshots take this thing seriously, it means a lot to me that you guys didn't just resort to being nay-sayers. Together we can do it!
    Let's gain momentum and interested parties on our side so that we can get this DONE! ;)

Now, how does one go about setting up an online petition?

@scaminatrix: what do you mean by JF-AMD? Lol, think about it though, how do you ask AMD for an insider email address without having any email address to ask it from?
  24. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not an industry big-shot AND I'm having trouble taking this seriously! If their work is half as groundbreaking as it seems why does their logo look like it was made by a (not particularly talented) fourth grader?

Did anyone bother to check if they had their amazing algorithm patented?

EDIT:
    I searched the USPTO for patents written by Bruce Robert Dell, without success.
    Searching for patents with "point cloud data" in the title yielded some results (the most recent of which was filed in 2005):
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0 PAT. NO. Title
    1 1 7,804,498 Visualization and storage algorithms associated with processing point cloud data
    2 2 7,746,341 System and method for parsing point-cloud data
    3 3 7,420,555 Method and apparatus for transforming point cloud data to volumetric data
    4 4 7,317,456 Method and apparatus for transforming point cloud data to volumetric data
    5 5 6,608,913 Self-contained mapping and positioning system utilizing point cloud data
    6 6 6,377,865 Methods of generating three-dimensional digital models of objects by wrapping point cloud data points
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    scaminatrix says thanks.
  25. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm all for advances in new tech (especially algorithms for faster processing), and I applaud you gents for wanting to push this tech .... but what makes you think the big companies do not already know about this technology? It has, after all, been around for awhile.

Just an honest question ... not being a nay-sayer. ;)