1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlock ultra high settings in TF2 (+possibly more Valve games)

Discussion in 'Games' started by oli_ramsay, Mar 12, 2009.

1. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I saw this WAYYYYYYY back when. It is highly unstable at times, mainly when someone is on a custom map with 1000 cows or something on it. But very cool for stock mapp.
  2. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    They are but there are a ton of variations. HL2 and CSS use 1.0, Orange Box and Left 4 Dead use their own proprietary/edited versions of source.
    TheMailMan78 says thanks.
  3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Wonder if it works on DOD:S since it got a bunch of upgrades late last years (Very High texture, motion blur, etc.). I'll have to try it later this afternoon.
  4. crazy pyro

crazy pyro New Member

Thanks Received:
    DOD:S was updated to run on the orange box engine I think.
  5. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    the command works beaut for me, thanks for the autoexec stuff Darkmatter, your a champion.

no noticeable dip in FPS at all too, still i run a GTX295 that is hardly stressed by TF2.
  6. red268

red268 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After making the autoexec.cfg I just get to the loading menu screen (Ep2) and it never gets any further.
    Made the file as described, and put it in the folder as described. Made in Notepad and saved as autoexec.cfg making sure it was set to 'All files'.
    Any ideas?
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Nice stuffs.

TF2 already looks nice imo.(and this is on a 8600 GTS)
  8. kyle2020 Guest

no idea - I created the cfg and its fine. Try deleting that file, play the game for a few minutes, and re make it.
  9. DarkMatter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I too have no idea. The problem is not in the autoexec file itself, the commands inside could be a problem tho. Move the file to another folder or the desktop and run the game. You can try the command(s) in the console, that way you'll know if any of those is creating the problem. I say so because if you are using all of the ones in the OP, some might be problematic for your card, because of the available memory. If you are using the max mat_picmip -10 (no texture compression at all) and you set the AA to 8x :)confused:? mat_aaquality 8 = 8xAA??), that might stress the memory too much and cause the error idk.

In fact, that mat_aaquality command is confusing for me to begin with. Usually we use the term sample for common AA levels and quality term is used for coverage sample/custom filter CSAA/CFAA modes. i.e 16x CSAA is 4 AA samples with quality 4.

I'm just guessing, I haven't tried the commands myself, because I have none of the compatible games installed atm and Steam is a pain here to download the files...

I suppose that if the problem is in the hardware, my card would find the same limitations as yours. I might give it a try this weekend, but I'm not sure, because it's a real pain to download them (I have a 12mb/s connection and it downloads at 50kb/s :cry:).

Let's see if someone else can help you. You could start by saying which commands you used and see if others tried all them too.

EDIT: huh, I just remembered that someone said CSS's maximum setting for mat_picmip is 0, it could be that HL2:Ep2 also has a lower maximum like -4 or something. Again, try the commands in the console first, the console will tell you if the value is valid or not. But if you try to force the setting in the autoexec... that could be the problem.

EDIT2: Ok regarding mat_aaquality, I was right. I tried the commands in CSS and I have not found mat_antialinis, is a typo? I found mat_antialias and is exactly what I said. When 16x CSAA is chosen mat_aaquality is automatically set at 4 and mat_antialias is 4. When 8x CSSA, mat_aaquality is 2 and is always set to 0 in MSAA modes, i.e 8xMSAA is mat_antialias 8, mat_aaquality 0. IF mat_antialinis is a typo the commands given in the OP would be setting the AA to 16 samples with 8 quality OR what is the same 16 x 8 = 128xAA!!
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
    red268 says thanks.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    This only makes the little posters and some 3d objects better looking. not all the textures. ive tried this months ago.
  11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Corrosion remove your avy. It makes me go to the bathroom and punch my crotch.
  12. red268

red268 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help! I'm not going to be back home until late tomorrow night, so I probably won't get a chance to try anything until Monday at the earliest. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again!!