1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by 2bad, Oct 24, 2013.

1. padawanjp

padawanjp New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes my setup is using spdif optical since my receiver only supports optical input. Just wondering how were you able to make DDL work the first time then.:banghead: Well at least (I assume) DTS is working fine for you. There was another modded driver I came across before I saw this. You might want to have a look and try this:
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/175047-realtek-driver-mod-creative-x-fi-realtek-chip.html
  2. 2bad New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you report an issue, please include:

- OS (including whether it's 32 or 64 bit)

- HD Audio Codec Hardware ID (Device Manager > Audio, Video and Game Controllers > Realtek HD Audio Controller, right click and select properties, under the Details tab select "Hardware ID", you can use Ctrl + C to copy the Hardware ID.

- HD Audio Controller Hardware ID (Device Manager > System Devices > HD Audio controller). if you have multiple HD Audio controllers just post the IDs of them all.
    h3lls says thanks.
  3. alperuzi

alperuzi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't get it working on an optical connection DFI board with ALC889 on Win7x64.

Same issues, no playback, errors popping up about non working enhancements.

Tried both 2.71 and 2.72.

I'm gonna try it on my other machine next, which is a THX certified MSI board on an HDMI connction.
    edit: nvm, HDMI is a whole different beast...

alas, same problem on that board, "test tone unable to play" etc... ALC887 was the chip on that MSI board.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. Rockfella.killswitch

Rockfella.killswitch New Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread is worth a million dollars! Op can you unlock DTS for Asus DX as well? :p
  5. alperuzi

alperuzi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, my problem was solved over PM. Thanks 2bad!
  6. ALC1150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Transient positive glitch, it seems.
    Thanks for mentioning the Gamespirit mod, did indeed try the newest version of that though appears to be incompatible with the ALC1150, at least it could not install due to incompatibility, the installer prompts such an error and aborts. Unfortunately, DTS is a no-go for the ancient Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5500, only does old Dolby Digital; TOSLink port all busted too, suppose it is not exactly the finest craftsmanship but it was not exactly expensive either way back when.
    Good to know it works with your S/PDIF setup, though. Could you perhaps name the ALC chipset your sound card uses, for posterity (in case you have not yet done so)?
  7. padawanjp

padawanjp New Member

Thanks Received:
    ALC892 on an Asus P8z68-v board.
  8. ALC1150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, good to know.
  9. 2bad New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently due to PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) Windows is (sometimes) making sure all user-mode audio dlls are properly signed,
    I'm not sure why and when, but for now I've posted my original modification (2.71 M1), which modifies the kernel-mode driver, and does not have this issue,
    unfortunately, if you use Windows Vista / 7 / 8 64-bit, you'll have to press F8 and select "Disable driver signature enforcement" before each boot, or employ one of the other alternatives suggested in the first post.

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.71 M1:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/m59vre
    http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/34731542/file.html

Alternative method:
    You're still welcome to try the alternative method (dll modification), which in some cases works:

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.71 A1:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/7xp03j

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 - 32 bit and 64 bit - R2.72 A1:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ejgfyb
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    h3lls says thanks.
  10. woopadidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Care to be kind enough to share how it was solved (Or 2Bad)? I likely have the same problem(or similar), win7x64 ALC888S (i wonder what the S stands for...i doubt it's for surround).

I get the enhancements are causing problems warning when accessing the playback devices.
    Headphones (Realtek High Definition Audio)

My system is just a simple frontal analog output for headphones.

At first only the Dolby Home Theater panel was avaiable through realtek's control panel (audio manager) after checking through windows playback devices the DTS panel was avaiable there and started appearing in realtek's control panel, although the options are accessible, enabling them make no difference whatsoever.

Despite the "enhancements causing problems warning" the sound works as if they were the regular non-modded drivers on all formats (bit depth and frequency range).
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  11. alperuzi

alperuzi New Member

Thanks Received:
    He sent me another mod, which causes another problem during startup (just an annoyance actually, not really a problem). I'll leave it to him to share the file.

If ur just using headphones though why do you even want these? We are mostly just after DDL and DTS connect so that we get 5.1 through optical or coaxial output.
  12. woopadidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Having pseudo/dolby surround even from plain stereo (or down mixed from 5.1 in some games that allow to choose it) through dolby home theater is better than nothing until the day i might get some kind of decent 5.1 or so surround headphones.
  13. t88powered New Member

Thanks Received:
    Worked on my Asus p8z68-v pro gen 3 using optical out to a LG 7.2 channel HTIB and to be honest I can barely tell the difference from the sound blaster z I just purchased so it may be time to return it lol.

I installed the latest drivers/mod and ran into issues when trying to test play back from windows device configuration but testing through the hardware included application I was able to hear sound and in BF3 when there is sound I can turn the player and can confirm the sound switches speakers as spin around. Windows shows I don't have DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live selected when I know they both can be selected and afterwards I have seemingly true 5.1 surround sound.
  14. t88powered New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just read BF3 uses the CPU to encode so the only real benefit for me is being able to send 5.1 surround over the optical output since I have a 144hz display and my HTIB only has 1 optical and 2 HDMI inputs I guess? I'm new to surround sound so the picture is still unclear to how this all works.
  15. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you're on analogue or HDMI this makes no difference. all it does is gives you 5.1 audio over optical or SPDIF (via DD or DTS) if your soundcard did not support that as a default feature.
  16. t88powered New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mention the HDMI for any reason other then to shed some light on why I am using DVI vs HDMI and benefit from the unlocked live encoding/compression since optical is my HTIB's only other input available besides HDMI and without the compression the bandwidth usage for 5.1 exceeds optical's specs.
  17. 2bad New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have concluded that the "Failed to play test tone" issue is caused by PUMA (Protected User Mode Audio) detecting an unsigned user-mode DLL.

Oddly:
    This does not happen after the DLL is replaced, and PUMA will only re-verify the DLL signature after a restart.

I have updated the original post.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    t88powered says thanks.
  18. alperuzi

alperuzi New Member

Thanks Received:
    btw,

replacing the setup file with the M1 mod does not work. Setup fails midway.

You have to install the original 2.71 and then change the file from system32/drivers directory.

Just a heads up to save a few minutes of trouble ;)

edit:
    If you are on the F8 mode I guess the installation will work too, haven't tried that.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  19. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I understand the part about the hardware being dormant but am unsure whether my soundcard has the support locked away. It may be a moot point since I don't do much with surround anymore and do not see how this would affect anything analogue e.g. headphones.
  20. ALC1150 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Indeed these digital encoding features have no effect on analogue connections whatsoever, instead you might want to try the likes of Dolby Home Theater v4 for which hacks likely can be found on these forums as well, or even the currently free www.razerzone.com/surround/donate-and-download - naturally these only apply if you are not entirely satisfied with your current setup or if you are feeling adventurous and want to try surround sound emulation with headphones, as such software enhancements can be potential CPU hogs as well as introduce incompatibilities with other software which directly attempt to modify the audio stream such as audio decoders in some cases, though there is generally little permanent harm in trying them out and removing them if found to not be worth the bother.
  21. valkiscool New Member

Thanks Received:
    For those suffering from Windows PUMA (me) i found a sort of workaround.

First rename the original dll to RtkAPO64.dll.org
    Then place the modded dll file into the system32 folder
    Create a .bat file containing this:
    Code:
    taskkill /f /im RAVCpl64.exe
    ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.Mod
    ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.org RtkAPO64.dll
    net stop audiosrv
    net stop AudioEndpointBuilder
    net start AudioEndpointBuilder
    net start audiosrv
    ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5
    ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll RtkAPO64.dll.org
    ren C:\Windows\System32\RtkAPO64.dll.Mod RtkAPO64.dll
    CD /D "C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA"
    start RAVCpl64.exe -s
    It shuts down the HD audio manager and stops the audio service, after that it puts the original file in place and starts the audio service. PUMA checks that the dll is 'good' and than after 5 seconds (ping) it replaces the modded file and boots the HD audio manager.
    This works and DTS and Dolby home are available (Dolby home tested and works)
    Used on an ASUS P5K PRO and ALC883 codec

Hope this helps.
    Valk
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    ils, 2bad and potatogod say thanks.
  22. iSimilaXi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just registered here to tell you Realtek just updated the driver to R2.73 :banghead:
  23. valkiscool New Member

Thanks Received:
  24. hero1709 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi My driver is not signed, sorry for my bad english .. i come from germany..

MB : Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 with a Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec

Please help me :(

i need 5.1 in games over SPDIF
  25. KeyFear New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there!
    I`ve got following
    Can u help me?
    I`d try everything described here, but still no luck:
    icons in panel appear (DDL, DTSI) but in games no sound at all

- OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    - Motherboard Z87 MPOWER (ALC 1150)