• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

jacemace

I've been watching this thread a few times intermittently over the last few years - I now have and Asus N551JQ with MaxxAudio. I have installed Equalizer APO, and Peace Equalizer. EQ APO got rid of two of Realteks dialogue boxes - sound configuration, and the other I can't remember. Now there is only Speakers and Microphone in the Realtek choice boxes.

I would like to ask if I install Realtek with DDL and DTSI, will I lose MaxxAudio? Can I add MaxAudio later? I have the Asus Realtek MaxxAudio drivers downloaded from Asus in a zip file. I am also wondering if EQ APO will stay, or I can add it after? As said by the poster in post #1383, EQ APO is good.

Edit - Now that I've looked inside the modified Realtek 2.79 7z file, I see that MaxxAudio is in there - in fact the modified file I downloaded here, and the file I downloaded from Asus for my N551JQ, are nearly identical, so hopefully there is a good, compatible correlation.

Edit 2 - Do I uninstall Realtek drivers with the device manager, windows uninstall programs, or revo uninstaller?

Well - it didn't go well at all. It wouldn't install. I did manage to get dolby digital by copying the modified dll. I used testing, by disabling boot guard in the bios - I signed the drivers.

MaxxAudio with EqualizerAPO and Peace EQ is really good.

-

Last edited:
If your new installer is mostly/partially Realtek, I'd think when you use that it'll ask to uninstall it for you?

Otherwise, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

sunshinewelly

so just so i can get my head around this - do i put the cracked RTKAPO64.dll and copy that into the extracted realtek 2.79 main folder or does it go into the "vista64" file.

Also should i iuninstall the real driver first or just install the modifed driver without removing the original driver

there is also reference to different methods - the one i used originally on my windows 8 build was the method on page 1-2

also would a dedicated external sound card such as an xonar u5 or u7 offer better sound that the built in chip on my z77 extreme MB

also quick question but does windows 10 now officially support dolby digital live as i was looking at getting a xonar U7 but according to asus DDL is not compatible when using windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally Windows 10 build 14342 is out "We fixed an issue resulting in audio crashes for users who play audio to a receiver over S/PDIF or HDMI, and use a driver that supports real-time encoding via technologies like Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect."
And yes, it is true for me. My Realtek ALC892 is back, now fully function.

Edit: Some problems with Windows media player and Movie and TV player, not play DTS source movie but Media player classic and Kodi functions is OK. Maybe my local problem...

Last edited:
The modified DLL goes right in System32 after you've installed the driver. You can try it out with the one currently installed though I guess, just to possibly make things quicker (or not). Deleting/overwriting the original file that you're replacing takes a bit of trickery though. (see pg 37).

You might, or maybe even probably will, have better luck with dedicated soundcards I would think, but I can't confirm myself.

sunshinewelly

The modified DLL goes right in System32 after you've installed the driver. You can try it out with the one currently installed though I guess, just to possibly make things quicker (or not). Deleting/overwriting the original file that you're replacing takes a bit of trickery though. (see pg 37).

You might, or maybe even probably will, have better luck with dedicated soundcards I would think, but I can't confirm myself.

"system32" - sorry but where do i find that. I thought you replace the file in the original driver and then run the modified driver - thats what worked for me in windows8.

is this an alternative method

Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about, but that was closer to the old method and instructions. This current file that you replace is in C:\Windows\System32 and you can do it after installing the normal driver (if you have a method of deleting the original that it replaces).

sunshinewelly

hi right just did this and i can play a test tone in the playback devices (dolby digital live) in properties, advanced - i can pick DDL and it plays a tone.

in playback devices supported formats however i only get these options
DTS AUDIO
DOLBY DIGITAL
WMA WINDOWS AUDIO

I dont have a dolby digital live option.

should i have one there or is it simply covered by the dolby digital box

Hi, I'd like to share my success with the latest method, running Win 10 on an Asus P8Z68.

I've been without live encoding ever since I had to remove my pci based x mystique due to a slot conflict and rely on onboard sound.
I had already installed the latest drivers (7818_PG444_Win10_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL.zip) prior to discovering the modded 2.75 dll.

I opened regedit and added a new 32bit DWORD (DisableProtectedAudioDG with the value 1) to hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/audio
rebooted
I then entered windows/system32 in explorer and renamed the current RltkAPO64.dll to RltkAPO64.Odll, anything will do I guess, or delete it and then copy pasted the modded 2.75 one in it's place.
A quick reboot, success! Encoding options are now available and work perfectly!

Although the previous method worked for me, I was prevented from using it because test mode is not allowed by most anti cheat software such as battleye.

Many thanks to all involved in making this possible.

DazzaWill

I did the exact same method as timdim and it works. My problem is that disabling protected audio causes Netflix to fail. Anyone know away around this? Unfortunately both methods cause issues.Was also wondering if the Xaudio2 fix is required on Win 10 and does it cause any issue if I use it. In testing I have sound in all channels without the fix in xaudio2 games but I suspect its not proper 6 channel Independant. Also, as has always been the case WATCHDOGS etc.only works in analog when DDlive is enabled.

Gonna have to make sure you don't have any speaker spread/fill or virtual surround going on. Either with Dolby Home Theater (the Dolby tab), or being done by your receiver, or something else.

And, so far, I do believe that fix is needed for those games in Windows 10 still. I can't really test myself for now though.

Ahaa. Surround sound (Dolby / DTS) is indeed working again through Realtek Optical in 14342. Test tone still only plays 2 channels, but it's a Dolby or DTS signal. (Use something else to test.)

Though I still don't know if anything can be done about Netflix's conflict with the registry edit used in one of the methods for this mod. And I don't use Netflix myself.

DazzaWill

I'm able to run NETFLIX straight from the chrome browser instead of the app but its only 2 channel. The other option is to disable the audio hack reg key and stop start the sound service, or you can re-boot. I made a couple of batch files to make it quick. Unzip contents of Audio.zip to desktop and try it out. Make sure to run the batch files as administrator.

Attachments

• AUDIO.zip
    1 KB · Views: 358

DazzaWill

I disable it so that the Netflix App works. The App gives you the option for proper Surround sound which works as normal dolby digital plus, not DD Live. Running Netflix from Chrome Browser with DD Live hack enabled or disabled only ever outputs 2 channel but at least Netflix can actually run this way while the hack is enabled without spitting out the error. Personal choice.

bogdan1101

Hi, I'd like to share my success with the latest method, running Win 10 on an Asus P8Z68.

I've been without live encoding ever since I had to remove my pci based x mystique due to a slot conflict and rely on onboard sound.
I had already installed the latest drivers (7818_PG444_Win10_Win8.1_Win8_Win7_WHQL.zip) prior to discovering the modded 2.75 dll.

I opened regedit and added a new 32bit DWORD (DisableProtectedAudioDG with the value 1) to hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/audio
rebooted
I then entered windows/system32 in explorer and renamed the current RltkAPO64.dll to RltkAPO64.Odll, anything will do I guess, or delete it and then copy pasted the modded 2.75 one in it's place.
A quick reboot, success! Encoding options are now available and work perfectly!

Although the previous method worked for me, I was prevented from using it because test mode is not allowed by most anti cheat software such as battleye.

Many thanks to all involved in making this possible.

I tested! It is work 100%. ;)

Deveraux03

I followed the instruction on page 40 and installation went fine. However, I can't get it to work.

I'm using a 5.1 system which has only RCA output and so I use RCA converter to connect to my mobo (Z97 HD3).

I don't get the DTS options or anything in the speaker tab. But everything is present in digital output.

Won't DTS work with analog ?

Please answer..

rxracer

I followed the instruction on page 40 and installation went fine. However, I can't get it to work.

I'm using a 5.1 system which has only RCA output and so I use RCA converter to connect to my mobo (Z97 HD3).

I don't get the DTS options or anything in the speaker tab. But everything is present in digital output.

Won't DTS work with analog ?

Please answer..

No. DTS is digital. An RCA cable will work, but you also need a receiver that can decode DTS. And you mean RCA input right?.

@Jgr9 - Haven't been here for a while cos there's been no progress. I just figured out 14352 too. Awesome. Prolly should have come here a bit earlier, but I wasn't too far behind. Fingers crossed they don't wreck it in the next public build.

Kipz

So my hard drive died with all my setup and this thread is so long I'm not sure which guide to be doing.

I did the whole add the .dll file to the vista64 folder, go into windows test mode, install, add the regedit but I don't think that was the same method I used last time on windows 10.

I have managed to get it to work, but the sound is way off and by that I mean it is off center. I have to put it to the right 4 clicks for it to even sound normal.

Any advice?

Kipz

Also looks like I'm only getting two channels when I try to edit the balance in the properties. Only two sliders do anything, the other ones do nothing.

plainsbison

Hello everyone, I'm having quite a headache getting this to work. So I followed the instruction from this video using Windows 10 with the latest drivers from Realtek's site and this unlocked version and while DDL and DTSI show up in my options and do in fact send DD and DTS sound to my receiver, it does not encode anything but the front two channels. I've testing this with multiple 5.1 sources and nothing but 2.1. Can anyone please help me troubleshoot this?

Crap! I was so damn stupid I purchased a Sound Blaster Z what an awful mistake that was! I purchased it because my audio chip went out on my motherboard and it was the dumbest move ever! Should of purchased a new motherboard with a Realtek Chipset! Now I have 5.1 that I can't control the individual applications. Many games I can't adjust volume so I can not multi task as I either have audio or no audio! This is an awful card! No sound control at all!

overhole

Can someone say if this thread will help me? My notebook always had SRS pannel with multiple enhancements, but it just stopped working. The pannel is there, but the changes have no longer any effect. I tried reinstalling and updating both the Realtek and the SRS drivers. One thing I think might be related is that I have to disable sound enhancements in windows sound configuration. If I don't, the computer sound doesn't work. I'm on windows 10.