1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocking a sapphire 6950 to 6970 in crossfire?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by dbrowny, Oct 2, 2011.

1. dbrowny New Member

Oct 2, 2011
    1 (0.00/day)
    Thanks Received:

Ive been doing some research on how to unlock my Sapphire hd6950 cards and ive found the very useful guide here

however I then found this

Which is considerably more complicated. Im not sure which method I should follow, has anyone had experience with doing this with the sapphire cards and how to do it?

In addition, I have 2 of these cards in crossfire and have no idea how either method would be used to unlock them both. If anyone knows how to do this that would help a lot.

2. theeldest

Feb 7, 2006
    657 (0.19/day)
    Thanks Received:
    Austin, TX
    Hey dbrowny,

I haven't worked with the sapphire cards but I can attest to the success of the second method on my MSI cards. The only thing that was different (in my experience) was Part 3. I didn't need to use CMD, I just opened ATIWinFlash normally and was able to select the card I wanted to flash.

The shorter version is:
    1. Use GPU-z to save a copy of the BIOS.
    2. Use RBE to modify the BIOS for the shader unlock (it's a checkbox; literally that easy).
    3. Use ATIWinFlash to program the new BIOS.

Once you've done it with one card you just need to flash the same modified BIOS to the other card. (you only need to modify it once).

The only other thing to note is that you'll want the cards not in a crossfire setup when you're flashing. It makes it a bit easier.

Does this help?