1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocking Sempron 140

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rebell1952, Apr 5, 2010.

1. rebell1952 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :confused:
    I read the thread on unlocking the Sempron 140 (from Oct. 29, 2009) and I have a few questions relative to that line of thought.
    1) Once the second core is unlocked, will it remain unlocked at the Athlon's normal clock rate or does it have to be overclocked to stay active?
    2) Why doesn't the second core have its own L2 cache as the Athlon branded processor?
    3) Why doesn't the multiplier unlock?
    I hope these are not dumb questions, but I am new at this kind of thing, but I learn fast. So, I would greatly appreciate any info I can get on this matter.
    Thanx!

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    1) It'll remain at the normal clock speed.
    2) It will.
    3) Because it's not a black edition chip. Example: I bought an unlockable X2 550 (by nature a black edition chip) and when it unlocked to a Phenom II quad it retained it's unlocked multi.

However I just bought an unlockable Athlon II X3, which when unlocked to a Phenom II will still have a locked multi.

3. rebell1952 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very helpful

Thanx Kantastic, that really helped me to understand.:respect:

4. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    1) It will be activated at the normal clock. There is no guarantee the second core isn't defective, however. My Sempie 140 unlocks a second core, but it is not stable. Sometimes you need to add voltage to stabilize the second core even on stock clocks. Sometimes you need to underclock the CPU to make it stable with both cores. Sometimes nothing helps.
    2) It does have its own 1MB of L2 which is unlocked together with the core.
    3) Because this has nothing with the second core, but rather with the processor not being one of AMD's Black Edition parts.

Edit: Kantastic, that's what I get for chatting to tonight's date while typing up a message really slowly. Well, at least I got my priorities straight. :)

5. rebell1952 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanx again

More better, all info is greatly appreciated!:rockout: