1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocking the power of the WRT54GL(and a few other routers) with LINUX!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by newtekie1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    I'm lookin towards the AMPED WIRELESS!!! or another netgear.

2. caleb

Thanks Received:
    I run OpenWRT on ASUS WL500GP with
    - samba 3
    - transmission torrent client
    Its a pretty leet router to mess with cause the WRT posted here is pretty hardware limited and the firmware is the best their is for such devices IMHO.

3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Would it even be worth it to run tomato usb or openWRT on my netgear 3700?

4. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    I also have an WRT54GL but like newtekie1 stated above it stops at 35MB/s.
    I have a 50MB/s connection so what would be a nice upgrade?

5. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    The Asus RT-N16 is a massive upgrade from the 54GL. I still use my 54GL, but only as a repeater now. The N16 has all gigabit ports, and with the massive amount of flash and sytem ram, I can run all kinds of extra apps under Tomato. Got a squid server going, all ip traffic is being logged, using both cifs and jfs that have been re-routed to server shares on my server. You can do so much more with it.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I first switched to an E1000, the V1 is compatible with TomatoUSB. But I wanted 5GHz Wireless N, so I upgraded again to an E3000 which is also compatible with TomatoUSB.

You can get the E3000 for $50 off newegg, which is probably one of the best deals ever for such a fully featured router. I don't even think you can come close to that price with any other simultaneous dual-band router not to mention one with a USB port.

And if you are wondering what TomatoUSB is, it is basically what it sounds like, an off-shoot of the Tomato firmware that works with more routers, supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless N, and supports the USB ports on certain routers. The USB port allows you to do a few things with the router, including using the router as a printer server, connecting a USB drive and using the router as a NAS device or even having the router do all your downloading for you and putting the downloads on the USB attached drive.

technicks says thanks.
    50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Maybe it's a dumb question but would it not be better to have a router with antenna's on it? Regarding the wireless part.
    On my WRT54GL i bought some bigger antenna's and it increased the wireless signal a bit.

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they are necessary. The E1000 easily covered the same area as my WRT54GL and the WRT54GL had upgraded antennas as well. Now the E3000's 5GHz band covers even more. Yeah, the lack of external antennas are about the only draw back of the E3000, but for $50 it is still a terrific deal and with Wireless N the range is really good.

50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    Hard to find those these days.... a lot of them are making them internal only.... dumb fad.

10. Arrowmin New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice

Hello everyone I am new here.

11. sparky209 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive moded at least 45 wrt-54g routers of different versions..every thing from fan mods to seral
    Ports...mods from sd cards to usb ports (yes it can be done) and used them for wds to weatner stations to wardriving with a gps hooked to it and even as client and repeaters including bridges..the list goes on ..iv even made a remote internet controled robot with one using an adruino board hacked into it along with an attached network cam and two cassette player motors and two old cd's used for the wheels .thanks to them being open sorce and linux embeded device theres a ton of different stuff that can be done with them and quite few different firmware images that you can load on most of them depending on the version router you have (some ver.better then others thanks to some dumb ass at linksys idea to neutering later versions) Its sad there no longer made I still have no problem in finding the wrt-54g-tm (the best ones Imo) I bought 8 of them from a t-mobel store that had them on a back shelf for the last 6 years never opened all for 20bucks. And always find them at 2nd had stores like salvation army or good will for a buck or two. Thanks to t-mobile no longer using them I guess thats where the end up .