1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unofficial Windows 7 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Sep 25, 2008.

1. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that every proc has 64 bit processing.

Its the software thats an issue,
  2. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I dont have any issue with 64-bit Windows. Software isnt an issue. The only thing that has to be 64 bit compatible, is drivers.

I chucked my old (cant get a 64 bit driver anywhere) scanner in the bin and got a much better Canon all-in-one for £15 AMIR! :D

And yeah, I dont know of any piece of hardware currently in manufacture that doesnt support 64 bit.
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    If they killed 32bit they would all be forced to make 64bit drivers...
  4. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything that doesnt have 64bit drivers? Todays hardware, as in not ancient stuff like my old scanner, lol.

I'm yet to come across anything. Even really cheap perephirals seem to have 64bit drivers available.
  5. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    64bit is definately the way to go, even my old P4 640 in my spare machine is 64bit capable.

6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Older chips such as the Athlon Duron, and Athlon XP dont have x64 support. Neither does Pentium 2, 3 and i think the older 4 models. lmI could be wrong on the P4's though.
  7. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    My laptop can take 64bit, its even advertised like that. But if I use my 64-bit disc to install windows I loose all the bundled software on it (And there is actually stuff I want on there). It should have come with two recovery/install discs really. I may see if I can send off for one...

I cant wait for the day the industry imbraces 64-bit and everyone is like, OMG your still on 32 bit how old!
  8. PGR

PGR New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got news for you, my friend .... There's lots of hardware out there which doesn't run under x64. Maybe most mainstream computer peripherals do, but there's a whole bunch of specialty and niche-market stuff that doesn't.

I've spent the last 2 weeks doing extensive homework on the USB stuff I use regularly because I'm building a new system and I'd like to use Vista x64. But I can't because most of that stuff is NOT x64 compatible for a lack of 64-bit drivers. The software might run, but what good is that when it can't communicate with the hardware?

A partial list of the hardware I own which does not have x64 support includes my Futaba 12FG transmitter, my CBA battery analyzer, my Castle Link ESC programmer, my Hyperion battery chargers, and my Eagletree data loggers (all R/C aircraft stuff). Then there's my Davis Vantage Pro 2 digital weather station, my Icom IC-R5 and IC-PCR2500 communications receivers, and my Garmin GPS 12 handheld GPS.

Some of that stuff can be programmed via onboard menu systems, but it's a royal PITA. I wouldn't be able to do firmware updates on or data logging with any of it, though, and a few of those devices are nothing more than expensive decorations without PC control. Take the IC-PCR2500, for example. That becomes a $1000 brick if my PC can't communicate with it.

Nope, I'm not buying that "all currently-manufactured PC devices are x64 compatible" crap. That's not even close to being true. I want to use Vista x64 but I also want to keep using all that hardware, so I'll be sticking with an x86 OS for now.

Pete
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Well then, you and your RC buddies need to start harassing the manufacturers to put out 64bit drivers. Constantly bombarding them with 64bit requests might get the job done.

If worse comes to worst, you can always just dual boot with XP. No reason not to go with x64 for everything else.
  10. thraxed Guest

Well you know I think thats why they created vmware, think MS has there own version of vmware now too, so you could run your obscure hardware on a 64 bit os. Only thing that should limit you is hard drive space.
  11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The hardware you have there IS rather obscure. Harass the manufacturers for drivers., as wile e said.
    Also, did you ever think of a VMware? pretty easy to just fire up an XP 32 VMware, as they have direct USB support nowadays.
  12. kysg New Member

Thanks Received:
    yea overloading their email boxes with complaints...50 billion generic emails later...(short rant)64bit will pick up time (like probably never by then they would have conceived 128bit), and if the industry feels like making more 32bit stuff then that is what it will continue to do until the industry says 32bit is dead.