1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unreal Engine 4 is probably confirmed for WiiU for launch

Discussion in 'Games' started by RuskiSnajper, Feb 12, 2012.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:

I don't see anything here.

This does not amount to confirmation.

All about the memory - Rage cannot be any better on X360 because of memory issues.

WiiU will lag behind without at least 1.5 GB, it will be the downside and games will have to be watered down again. It's just about memory, they don't NEED to make a super powerful system, just the RAM needs to be increased and it will make so much difference in long-term. ALL that hardware is useless without enough RAM , i am looking years donw the line, 1 GB won't be enough, new PS and Xbox will have more than 1 GB.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
  3. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
  4. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    RuskiSnajper says thanks.
  5. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, saw em. Forgot to post em here.

But texture wise ... I think they can do better.

6. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    hmm, unimpressed with those shots '__'

7. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I was thinking about it ... but somehow didn't want to express it that much. Texture resolution isn't anything special, but i guess this is somethign that can be added later by just maxing out the art and using much less compression.

You have pretty smart individuals on neogaf, but you also have many people like this:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37994654&postcount=13931

May people have no idea how engines work and what engines are, it's not like your mother's washing machine, or your dad's new lawnmower. The WiiU version of the engine most certainly won't have all of the effects possible, stuff turned down, disabled, other things watered down, the textures won't be limited since it's a dumb and worthless idea, either you have a open world game with a lot of space and mediocre textures, but in the same time you can go with a corridor shooter with super duper omfg textures. The engine it self does not require any graphics at all. Those people are pretty inexperienced with technial stuff so you can ignore their opinions. Demo of an engine is ... Demo ofcourse, it has all the GFX on top, it's not a terminal console outputting engine status and waiting for command.

Im not sure where the guy got that shot but here it is:
    [​IMG]
    Still, i don't really care about all the debirs particles and all the crazy glow, DOF, motion blur, movie-style effects on there, i care about textures and if they can't do better in an dedicated tech demo then well ... it doesn't look as good and definitely doesn't make me move.
    I just disable those glows and motion blurs ... it's pretty usless without eye-tracking, cause your eyes need to be on the center of the ingame-players view, but you know that is never like that, you look around the 2D screen without moving your mouse to adjust the ingameplayer, so what you look at is the blurred area you would never see in real life with your eyes, you wouldn't be able to effectively play the game if you'd always looked in the center of the recticle where the DOF center point is fixed.

I might have not been accurate with the thread title "for launch" ... that's still open question, i forgot where the hint came from for that but I don't think it's for sure, fifty fifty :p

EDIT: It appears that this pic wasn't included on the article i visited reported about these pics.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  8. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    What bothers me as well is the fact that UT99 could have far more detailed textures than pretty much all games later. Especially the ones from S3TC textures disc 2. ALmost whatever game you look at these days, half of the objects are total blurry mess and only looks good at distance where you don't see the blurry textures.

9. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    Samaritan demo also wasn't spectacular in screenshots. If these pics are from video it explains bad quality.

10. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    this plus people seem to forget what unmodded doom 3 looked like, and unreal99? give me an f'ing break

[​IMG]

yeah you right, that demo looks way worse. you should sue.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Samaritan tech demo doesn't look anything special. Plus they used way too much blur, DoF and other post processing crap.

If you want spectacular, check the ATi Toy Shop tech demo. Very similar scene setup as Samaritan, just designed ages ago for much much weaker gfx card (Radeon X1800). Yet it looks freakin incredible. And frankly i haven't seen many games look that good even today.

RuskiSnajper says thanks.
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Thats how the games should technically be- be able to play on lower machines with less detail and then scale up higher with beefier hardware. Thats how Need For Speed Underground 1 and 2 were- They looked like crap on XB/PS2 n same with the PC less You Pumped the Graphics on the PC with a 9500/Pro, 9600/Pro/XT, 9700/Pro, 9800/Pro/XT which looked superior to Consoles in detail n frame rates. Rage appears to run really good on even a 5770. I mean the XB360 and PS3 are 2006 Graphics hardware n even then the Radeon HD 2000 and GeForce 8 series surpassed that console graphics hardware, so Even the Lower Range Hardware has surpassed the Graphics hardware of the XB360 n PS3 today

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  13. TheHunter

TheHunter

Thanks Received:
    You forgot to mention crappy streaming code. That's the biggest pos in U3E, esp. by games that use physx as physics. That's why i never finished MOH, both Batmans, Alice, GOW, Homefront, Bulletstorm.

I just hope they got this streaming under control in U4E, also i hope it will have the same detailed characters as seen in Samaritan tech demo..

Well these new U4E screens look on average, this demon character looks kinda weak too,
    [​IMG]

ok it has nice particle effects and dynamic lightning (not prebaked), but still Samaritan looked 10x better, also Real hair and stuff, where is that in this presentation :shadedshu
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/... wired/index (Wired: Index 3 (Top Stories 2))

14. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    I agree, i don't like the movie-style post processing to be bothering me in games, mucks up all the good texture pixels and other issues I already mentioned such as pre-determined DOF, it has to track eyes to be actually realistic, because now they force you to focus you eyes on what they want, if you don't then you see blur.

I'll check that out.

EDIT: That link i posted quoted on the second page doesn't work .. that's because it's shorthened hotlink quoted and it cuts out in the middle making a 404 error.
    http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=interactive_achievement_awards20120209

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  15. Recus

Recus

Thanks Received:
    The only thing it shows is that no matter how good textures are, graphics sucks without post processing or third party stuff like ENB, Icenhancer. : P

------

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012