1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unstable, even at stock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SouthOfHere, Nov 14, 2013.

1. SouthOfHere New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been having issues with my system for a while now, it's running an FX 8350 and I cannot seem to get it stable no matter what overclock setting I use. I tried setting it back to stock to try and establish a baseline, but about 5 minutes of OCCT or Prime95 the system either hangs or I get a BSOD. The error is "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and seems to relate to "hal.dll". I've spent an hour going through Google finding forum posts but haven't been able to find any solution.

I'm not sure where the problem is, the system has had a few fresh OS installations. I changed the PSU for an additional 7970 but the same problem with the old PSU aswell. I've swapped the memory out for an old 1333Mhz kit I had lying around so no problems there either. I have a new motherboard on the way today, the current one is a Gigabyte UD3 so I'm hoping that will resolve it but if not are there any other components that could be causing it?

2. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte UD3 has memory overclocking underwhelming issues :laugh:, but meh, shouldn't cause this. From what I'm aware a 0x124 error on an 8350 is hardware failure (I know this from personal experience, I've owned 3 of them), and a WHEA blah blah blah error is essentially 0x124 BSOD. (The first result in google told me this). So uncorrectable hardware failure is your problem, most likely motherboard or CPU.

3. SouthOfHere New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's another thing I hate about the UD3, it's a 1600Mhz kit but runs by default at 1333Mhz. Getting it to run at 1600Mhz takes some doing, it's not as simple as just setting the speed, voltage and timings to what's on the box as most people mention is all that's needed. So if the new motherboard doesn't make things stable, would be best RMA'ing the CPU?

4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried loosening the timings on your memory . Helped me.

5. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, our resident Memory reviewer said the UD3 is a pain in the ass with memory overclocking. But yeah, if new MoBo doesn't solve stability issues, you're CPU is likely guac and needs replacing.

6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it is doing this also when you revert everything to stock, as some have said, it could be a memory error or possibly (having done a little research) a bug with your "C States", just go into Bios and disable all power saving measures, then run your stress test to see if there is any difference.

7. SouthOfHere New Member

Thanks Received:
    I replaced the motherboard, and when I took the Corsair h80i off I found the thermal paste hadn't spread properly and there was just a large blob in the middle. I don't think I'd tightened the retention screws quite tight enough, I'm a little careful how tight these days because I used to do them ridiculously tight and I've cracked 2 boards in the past. I've used an indigo xtreme this time instead of arctic silver. I've managed to get a good stable 4.5Ghz out of the 8350 and stressed for one hour, peaked at 43C. I'm going to stress it overnight and if it's stable I'll try for 4.8, maybe 5. I'm so happy now. :cool: