1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unusually high temps with aftermarket cooling.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mikey1000, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try to explain it the best i can so bare with me. I just bought a connect 3d hd4850 from a good friend of mine. He said that with the reference cooler the card will get a little hot while gaming but i didn't think nothing about it. He said i need to buy a good aftermarket cooler if i want decent temps.
    All was just like he said, with the reference cooler the temps exceeded 100 degrees celsius with the fan at 80%, and was very very loud also. I then bought a akasa neo vortex cooler and i had that friend mount it up for me. The problem now is that the temps didn't go down at all...i still get over 100 degrees regularly while playing. It isn't loud anymore but it doesnt cool the card right, so i was wondering what the problem was. Can it be it isnt mounted right?
    One thing to note: just under the graphic card i have a sound card installed and there is very litttle space bettween the two. Can that impact my cooling that much?? I dont have another free pci slot to move the sound card.
    The case has only one side fan 12cm at 1200rpm.
  2. lucasweir

Thanks Received:
    try taking out the sound card and see if it reduces temps, if not try re-seating the cooler with some new thermal paste and make sure its snug on there
  3. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Thanks Received:
    if possible just move the card down a few slots and that should clear up the problem unless he mounted the HSF wrong and it didn't seat fully against the GPU. If moving the card down doesn't help pull the video card as mentioned above and make sure it's snug and you have enough thermal paste (suggestion AS5 for the thermal paste). Also, do you have enough cooling in your case? Proper air flow makes a world of difference.
  4. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't move the card down, those are the only available slots in my motherboard. Also i will try resitting the cooler and see if it makes a difference.
    The case has only one 12cm fan sidefan but i am planning on upgrading to a cooler master cm690.
    Also i touched the heatpipes on the cooler when running furmark renamed stressing the gpu. They were warm, but nothing close to 100+ degrees. And another thing, the back of the card seemed to be the hottest part, i actually burned my fingers a little when i touched it.
  5. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    When they fitted the after market cooler, did they leave/put heatsinks on the VRM's?

That is the bit usually the hottest, (around the PCIe power connector)

Also where are you getting your temperatures from? 48xx series report a lot of different temps.
  6. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card had some sort of heatsink on the VRM and they said that was better then the aluminum sinks the cooler came with and they kept that one.
    Also, the temps are from both CCC, gpu z and ati tray tool, they are tthe same within 1degree difference.
    But like i said, the back of the card seems to be the hottest part (tested with my fingers) and i just dont get that.
  7. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Seems like it's not seated properly. What exactly are the 3 temp readings you are getting? - Check all 3 in gpuz
  8. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    After 5minutes of furmark stressing:

gpu temp dispio 105degrees
    gpu temp memio 103degrees
    gpu temp shadercore 110degrees

The cooler should do a bettter job even if my airflow is lacking in my opinion but it's the same as the reference cooler.
  9. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Did you watch them put on the cooler?

Did they clean of the old TIM and apply some fresh stuff?

Also is the fan on the cooler spinning? Do you have any readings of how fast?
  10. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not sure if they removed the old stuff before reapplying the cooler.
    The fan is spinning i see it does, but in both gpuz and ati tray tools it says fanspeed 1 and i have no idea why because it moves alot of air (i felt it).
    I think i'll take the cooler off, clean the gpu and then mount it again...see what it does. I doubt it can be any worse then it already is.
  11. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you clean off TIM on cooler and GPU completely and then reapply some more stuff.

As long as fan is spinning and its moving a nice amount of air thats fine. Cus its aftermarket the drivers just cant read the fan speed correctly.
  12. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Remember to be careful the HD4850 core is pretty fragile. i killed a card replacing a heatsink with a waterblock :(
  13. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Have you tried running it with the side off the case?? Airflow was a problem for a friend of mine his gx2's in sli were getting over 100c with the fans at 100% he tried them in another case wth better airflow and that kept them from going over 80c.
  14. mikey1000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm so i removed the cooler and the thermal paste was all dried up, and realized the copper block was NOT making full contact because my friend attached some yellow stripes along the core (the instructions said not to do that if the gpu has a metal frame, which it has). I removed them, cleaned the gpu, put in thermal paste and now it's ok :). Temps don't budge over 65degrees no matter what i do.
    I was a little scared doing it myself, but it seems it's ok now. Thank you all for your help!
  15. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whenever my temps get wild I always check the seating of the cooler. Had a pentium D idle at 45c redid the tim now its 27-30 idle maybe 45c at load