1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upcoming Hardware?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by digibucc, Apr 16, 2012.

1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    I am thinking I will build a new machine by the end of 2012, if not soon after. I know that's a long way off so I am not looking for many specifics, but:

-what's the projection that far out? what lines should i be following? It'll be all new, but i'm interested mostly in cpu/mobo & gpu. any new interesting technologies that may be implemented by then?

also, will it be worth it to upgrade then? My work is on my computer, but what drives the upgrades is video games and simply having fast new technology. I have an i7 920, 12GB ram and 5850s crossfired, and haven't had any issues with newer games. will there be new technology, or will newer games require hardware that makes a new machine worth it?

now, i know "worth it" is subjective. the best i can do is to say i am used to upgrading every year to 1.5 , i've been on this one for nearly 3 years now so i am starting to get itchy. I would like to upgrade but not for the sake of it.

thanks for reading :)
  2. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    GPU wise, the Radeon HD 8000 series should be out late this year, early next year. The main appeal is if you use xfire right now with zerocore in the 7000, and how much better the newer cards are for tessellation.
    CPU wise- AMD is coming out with their Piledriver architecture, and though we don't know too much, it may be what bulldozer was supposed to be, and overclock well.
    Ivybridge-E should also be out late in the year, however if it acts like the current tests I've seen on Ivy, it doesn't seem to like high volts and run hotter than SB, and Sandybridge-E may be a better option for high overclocks.

So new tech for the CPU... well... umm... AVX?

Games wise, seeing as we won't really see new high-end consoles until 2014 for the most part, eh.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    digibucc says thanks.