1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Updated BIOS and it doubled my NB temp, help!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Waldamos, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    [SOLVED] Updated BIOS and it doubled my NB temp, help!

[Solved] I have a Biostar TA790GX 128M mobo running a AMD Phenom 9600 (2.3gHz). I found a great deal on a Phenom II x4 830 and grabbed it. Upon checking out the bios info, it looks like I needed to update my bios to support a second generation chip (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=377). So I updated to the 78DEA525.BST bios and when it started up, my temp monitoring program read my Temp 1 (assuming my NB, you will see why later) as 92C idling, when before Temp 1 was no higher than 40C loaded. I flashed back to my backup and the temp went down.

Here is someone else's thread on this exact issue: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97812. Unfortunately no one commented on the post on what he did.

So obviously I want to install this new chip, but I am concerned on the temp reading. Is the temp reading correct (meaning is the BIOS sending too much voltage to the NB for real, or is it a shoddy reading)?

[SOLVED]
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. monte84

monte84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you touch the NB heatsink? Probably a miss reading if you can keep your finger on it.
    Waldamos says thanks.
  3. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can someone point out the North Bridge for me? I am assuming it is under the copper heat sink that says Biostar just to the left of the CPU in this picture: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=377.

Or is it the other copper heat sink below the battery and above the SATA connections?
  4. monte84

monte84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that would be the one.
    Waldamos says thanks.
  5. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am going to assume you mean the first one I said (the Biostar one). I will test it when I get home. I guess I might as well test them both just in case you meant the other heat sink.

So to ask my next question, provided it is just a bad reading, are there any issues I am going to run into with a program/my computer thinking the NB is running extremely hot?

Should I try the newest driver for my mobo and not just the one specifically labeled for the phenom II support? I was not sure the way they listed the BIOSs if I should just go with the one that I need (meaning the others might not include my specific update).

Sorry for being such a newb. It has been a long time since I built this computer and I have let the know-how get lost somewhere in my brain.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The new bios could just be throwing the temperature sensor off. You're best bet would be to contact Biostar support to see what they have to say on the matter.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/techmain.asp

Good luck to you. :toast:
    Waldamos says thanks.
  7. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just submitted my question and we shall see, in the mean time I will see if the temp is actually that hot or if the sensor is off.

If I could ask one more question, should I try flashing to the latest BIOS released? Would a BIOS released in 2010 include the updates from 2009? Or is a BIOS designed specific for each issue? Because I have not tried the latest dated BIOS, only the one that came preloaded and the one dated 2009-05-25 when there are newer ones out (the current being 2010-11-12).
  8. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    the lastest bios would include all updates
    Waldamos says thanks.
  9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Did you try to update the monitoring software? What software are you using?
    Waldamos says thanks.
  10. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using speedfan, just got it like 2 weeks ago too, so unless they came out with a new version since then, I am running current.
  11. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Waldamos says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    Read Below
    Clear CMOS:
    1.) immediately following a new build, before power is applied
    2.) immediately following any hardware change/upgrade
    3.) after flashing BIOS.
    Waldamos says thanks.
  13. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I clear CMOS? I am not at all an expert when it comes to this stuff. In fact the only way I felt comfortable doing this was using the windows utility to flash my BIOS available on Biostar's website. I have an option in my BIOS to load optimized defaults. Is that the same thing?
  14. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
  15. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Before you clear cmos do yourself the favor of updating to the newest bios version first...in case you missed that point mentioned above. The most recent bios includes all fixes.
    Waldamos says thanks.
  16. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the picture below (I hope that's your mobo) the arrow points to the traditional way:move jumper from position 1-2 to 2-3 with your PSU turned off,leave for 2-3 min,turn on and "Load Optimal Settings
    I noticed also those two tiny buttons and one of them could be a BIOS reset onboard switch but I can't tell for sure...never owned a Biostar mobo...maybe someone who did may help as well
    [​IMG]
    Waldamos says thanks.
  17. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is very close to my board. That one is a TA790GX A2+ while mine is a TA790GX 128M. Though they look exactly the same in layout.

So to be sure of the operations here, update my BIOS to the latest release, then after shutting down, reset CMOS, then in BIOS before first start up I load optimized settings.
  18. _ALB_R3D X

_ALB_R3D X New Member

Thanks Received:
    Exactly:toast:
    Also if you feel confident,navigate through the BIOS and find your NB voltage.Report here and we'll see from there
    Waldamos says thanks.
  19. Waldamos New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, did everything you said to do, windows is up and speedfan is showing NB running at normal temp again.

The post screen showed 1.20V and 1.232V for the respective North Bridge and CPU voltages. Looks like you guys solved it. Now I can pop in that new cpu when it gets here. And yes, I will remember to reset cmos after installing it. Thanks so much guys!
  20. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    The 2 little buttons on the Biostar's are onboad power and reset buttons. The Biostar T-Force boards I have had (3) all had the sweet little switches.