• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Updating my computer

Bungie

Hi there.
I am thinking about upgrading my computer. I would like to get an amdx2 cpu with motherboard and everything that goes with it. The way i would like to do it is by step. Like at first i would like to get the mobo and the cpu, then a bit later get a new videocard etc. My problem is with the videocards. Most new card are PCI E while my present card is a 9800pro 256M AGP card. Is there some mobo that can accomodate both a AGP and PCI E card?
I hope my question is clear. I want to upgrade while still using my comp. Right now i have an AMD XP2500+, 1.5Mb of ddr mem, 9800pro 256Mb.
Can you help me with my choices?

Thanks for your time,

Bungie

crankydan

I wouldnt let the Video card hold you up and this is why, for 120 bucks you can get a 6600GT PCI E with 128meg of DDR3 ram that will get you gaming in a hurry. Dont get me wrong, you are not going to walk with the big boys(6800gt/7800 anything). But it will do until you get enough dough for a screamer. This will also allow you to get a nf4 sli board that you can further upgrade later. Just MHO for what it is worth.