1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade: 2nd 5870 or Single 6970 2GB?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by MT Alex, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I will be getting a 2500K in the near future, and want to pair it with a GPU upgrade at the same time. I have no experience with crossfire, and have always heard that the 5800 series scale very poorly. I was hoping to get ideas from those who have used both single 6900 series cards and dual 5800 setups.

Any card I decide on will also require another $100 investment for a water block, which would make a 6970 be considerably more dough. Also, it is likely that I would have to scrounge a reference 5870 off of eBay, since vendors don't carry them anymore, and most water blocks only fit reference models.

The main purpose for the upgrade will be BF3.
  2. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    If you can get a 5870 for a good price then go for it. I just bought a 2nd HD5870 for my upcoming BF3 rig, I just need a 990fx board and BD processor. :)

I guess you just need to keep your eye out for a cheap 2nd hand one, I got mine for $100 which was a steal.

I thought that the 5870's scaled pretty good, just not as good as 6k series.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I have had first hand experience with those setups and I can tell you that a reference 6970 with a block seems like a solid and the better choice, I would personally go with that and OC it. While 2x 5870's are nice, they don't scale too well in DX11 which I'm sure would give you a headache in the future.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you are going watercooling, I think it will be more sensible to have a 6970 instead. Otherwise, if you can get a 5870 for cheaps its worth having a thought.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  5. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's a good deal. If I found something like that it would make my decision much easier.

That's what I was afraid of.

I already have a full WC setup, and my current 5870 has a full coverage block. I really do not want to go back to air, heck, my card never gets above 40C.
  6. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I think it all boils down to which option would be cheaper.

Although actually Sandy Bridge in general does some improving on multi-GPU performance.
    MT Alex says thanks.
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    You bet, it does. I would, however, hate to piss away $300+ for a used 5870 and a water block if that money could go towards a newer single card that would offer the same performance perks. Hmmm. I guess it may boil down to available cards.
  8. Crusader

Crusader New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd recommend the single 6970. I'm running two 5850's now, half the time I have the second card disabled due to certain games refusing to start/crashing the entire system while Crossfire is enabled. Usually that is the driver's fault(some drivers do it, some don't), but still.

And besides, you're better off getting a current gen card instead of getting another last gen card.
    If you're worried about pricing, sell your current 5870 to pick up the slack.
    MT Alex says thanks.