1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade 4870 to 6950/6970 or save for new system?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Vertrucio, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Vertrucio New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the rig listed below, will I get any benefit to getting a new AMD 6950 or 6970? Or am I better off saving a while longer and grabbing a full DDR3 capable PC with all the new tech like sandy bridge?

Here's my computer specs:
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.40 GHz, Socket AM2+)
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    ASUS M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard
    8 GB RAM DDR2 667 (various memory manufacturers)
    Misc Seagate and Hitachi Hard Drives

I'm looking to upgrade my PC for the new crop of PC games this year. While I still think of my PC as high end, it's starting to show a bit more age, especially since I upgraded to 24" screens running at 1920x1200 native resolution. It just can't get a smooth framerate with max detail on my favorite games anymore, on the other hand, I get pretty close, usually requiring a few bumps down in detail, although I prefer not to run lower than native resolution. (For reference, I plan to play Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex, etc) I just miss the days of buttery smooth gameplay, and loading up Dead Space 1 PC and feeling the input lag due to performance got to me.

However, it's been a little while since I fully built a new system (I've been upgrading over time), and I'm wondering if buying a new video card would make this PC last for another few years.

$300 is a lot for a card, but considering I just spent half that getting mounts for my monitor setup, I can afford to be fully happy with my PC performance again.
  2. bear jesus

bear jesus New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar system and a few months ago i upgraded from from a 4870 to a pair of 6870's and three 1680x1050 although sold one in the hopes that the 6970 would be more impressive but right now am running a single 6870 and just accepting not fully maxed settings (mainly AA) to get silky smooth frame rates.

When running a pair of 6870's pretty much everything was running silky smooth maxed at 5040x1050 with a phenom 965 like yours so CPU is not really an issue it's the GPU.

For now I'm considering a 6970/a pair of them or waiting for the 7xxx cards, because the rest of my system is not holding me back as much as the graphics card so i suggest if you want smoother game play upgrade your GPU before thinking about CPU and RAM.
    Vertrucio says thanks.