1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade 780m problem

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by darksen, Feb 19, 2014.

1. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I have a msi gt60 0nc 491 xfr and I just bought and installed a 780m from eurocom ( I take away the x-bracket because it was blocking the gpu slot )

Before putting the card, I uninstalled the drivers of the geforce but I could get to work the installation of the new drivers for the new card.

My computer keep the resolution at 640 / 16 bit and I saw a conflict in device manager.
    In the intel it says 'This device has not enough free resources that can be used. (Code 12)

I tested many things even formatting win 7 ultimate x64.

Nothing happen when I install the hd graphics 4000 drivers. There is no graphic menu when I right-click on the desktop.

Thank you.

2. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Up

3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Whats the problem?
    I believe your supposed to install hardware first then drivers.

So you are stuck at 640x480 resolution @ 16bit?

So re installed windows which would of fixed any driver issues.

p.
    Are you using intel graphics or nvidea graphics?

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:

5. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am stuck, I will give a donation of 20 euros with paypal to the one who help me to solve this.

6. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
  7. insane 360

insane 360

Thanks Received:
    ^ this, first check physical like the psu.

next i would try a live usb stick with ubuntu on it (that way you don't reformat your pc and you can at least check on the hardware)

if ubuntu see's the card then i would reinstall windows as it might be something dll/driver that is corrupted

8. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nop but I resetted the bios. Much think it 's about changing IRQ.

Yes, I have a 180w.

I don't a live cd but it will be only a good idea to check if the gpu work correctly.

Someone know a lot about I/O or IRQ config, I think the real solution is here.

9. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    That's usually handled automatically by the OS and BIOS on your computer. No has had to mess with setting IRQ channels manually for over 15-20 years now.

10. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I resolved the problem, I think the card had a Clevo vbios, I flashed the latest msi vbios and the card was detected and no more low resolution but now the new problem is that I ' getting a BSOD involving nvlddmkm.sys when I am going in nvidia panel in 3d settings.

I have installed the latest nvidia drivers, maybe it 's the problem ?

I also tried the technique to create a new nvlddmkm.sys but I 'm still getting bsod.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  11. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Do a fresh install of the nVidia drivers. Latest ones supported for your platform. Uninstall, reboot into safe mode, run Driver Cleaner/Driver Sweeper, then reboot and install drivers.

12. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey,

I tried old drivers, last drivers, msi drivers and nothing work but now I resolved the problem doing this technique :

Adding this :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr
    ol\GraphicsDrivers]
    "TdrDelay"=dword:00000005
    "TdrDebugMode"=dword:00000003

Using the last driver right now.

I have 40 degrees idle, my 670mx was doing 30.

In 3dmark11, I am reaching 95 degrees wow. The 670mx was doing 60.

And the best. I have a score like this : 4000 pts without o/c with msi afterburner.

I want to know if I am getting this score because of the high temperature ? 780m should do 6700 pts stock.

I also noticed in hardware monitor in powers, package is changing every seconds 5,70 to 6,24

And the temperature of the processor core playing 36 to 40

Remembering my old config the value wasn't changing like that.

Seems something not being stable.

13. flmatter

flmatter

Thanks Received:
    Are you trying to run/enable 3d on the laptop as well? Because if the display/lcd panel can not run 3d you will run into problems. Try downloading a MSI driver from one of the laptops that has a 780m. Also your temps could be because of the heat sink and thermal paste issues. Not the first time people have ad temps because of heat sink or paste not seated or full coverage. Also check MSI bios updates for the 780M or your laptop. http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GT60_2OD_3K_IPS_Edition.html#download for drivers for GT60 780M not your exact model but shows driver for 780m. side note who manufactured the 780m? that could help too.

More than 25k PPD
  14. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    No I don't have 3d, I lost my if diamond so I put artic silver 5 but a small amount. And the thermal pad I used was the one given with the upgrading kit, blue one plastic like.
    The black part of the gpu is full covered but maybe that was a so small amount and I scewed too much the screws of the gpu slot. I will try a repaste.

I want to know if the high temperature could cause the low score in 3dmark11, 4000 pts :/ and the fan was to noisy, never had heard it that much.

Do you think they give bad quality thermal pads ?

Thanks.

15. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    What you probably didn't do was take off the plastic sheets they put over thermal pads, before actually using the thermal pad.

16. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol, I did take off the plastic of course, oh my god ! :)

Maybe they are poor quality. I will open to see the thermal paste on the gpu if it 's enough.

Someone could answer about that : the high temperature will have an impact on points in 3dmark ?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  17. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Just to clarify, did you use paste and a thermal pad on the actual GPU?

If the GPU was reducing to clocks to lower heat then yes.

18. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I used a thermal paste, the artic silver 5 because I lost my Ic diamond. I put only a slim amount maybe that 's why.

I have thermal pads, blue one, don't know the brand.

And, is it possible to update my bios with a bios of a msi gt60 sold with the 780m to increase my system ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  19. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    At 95 degrees the 780m will automatically be throttling. This will be impacting your 3DMark score by quite a lot.

Is the GPU cooler in your laptop capable of cooling a 780M (by this I mean was the laptop originally available with a 680M)? I don't know much about the MSI GT series but it could be a case that the GPU HSF is not enough for the 780M.

Assuming that the cooler is enough, all you can do is re-paste it (ensuring that the GPU die is getting full coverage). The 780M will run hot, but will offer unthrottled performance as long as it stays below 93 degrees.

The 780M in my Clevo P170SM runs in the high 80's (overclocked or not) and before re-pasting would happily slam into the thermal threshold. A re-paste with MX-2 brought temps down quite nicely.

20. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, my laptop can run the card.

Just repasted yesterday with Ic diamond. It was fine, did a 3dmark11 test with good fps and the fan wasn't noisy then I heard a "poc" with a BSOD of a sys file but not the nvlddmkm.sys.

Since now, my card is not recognize and everytime I start the computer the fan stay on the max. I put back my 670mx and it 's working perfectly.

The 780m is dead for sure ...

21. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    now 670m getting better?)

22. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean ? The 670mx is still the same, the 780m is sure dead.

23. Chetkigaming

Chetkigaming

Thanks Received:
    I'm talking about your attitude to a 670)

24. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    :confused:

I am confused by this.

In regard to the 780m it does sound like something is wrong with it, especially as the 670MX works fine.

It may be best asking over at the Notebook review forums as there are alot of people over there who will have experience with the GT60 / 780m combo.

My experience is limited to the Clevo chassis models.

25. darksen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, i am sending it today to RMA.