• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upgrade advice is need

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I have reread your post, OP has a low Gigabyte mobo and 3.5 GHZ is a dream on that. He probably doesn't know how to overclock anyway. So my statement still applies.

I think it could easily manage 280fsb with the 12.5 multi.

I think it could easily manage 280fsb with the 12.5 multi.

I don't think so pal. Just take a look at this

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2047&page=4

Pathetic overclock isn't it? Out with the Pentium Dual Core, in with the E8XXX. It'll be way better even if it works at the same frequency as his old CPU and take off the CPU bottleneck. Then put good GPU near it, HD 5770 at least and you'll be all set for gaming. LOL I just noticed I told the same thing AGAIN. Just trying to help here, sorry I had to...

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I don't think so pal. Just take a look at this

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2047&page=4

Pathetic overclock isn't it? Out with the Pentium Dual Core, in with the E8XXX. It'll be way better even if it works at the same frequency as his old CPU and take off the CPU bottleneck. Then put good GPU near it, HD 5770 at least and you'll be all set for gaming. LOL I just noticed I told the same thing AGAIN. Just trying to help here, sorry I had to...

Thank you.

Would an e8 series even post on the board then? Is there such thing as a BSEL mod to lower the posting fsb? That is where my curiosity comes into play more.

EDIT: Think CL 5 would help with a higher fsb?

Oh and these are not rhetorical questions, I am seriously asking these. Either way, I still think the OP should just go with a Phenom 2 based system if he/she were to purchase a new platform.

Last edited:
System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Ya I don't think I would EVER take a E8400 over a Phenom II, that's like shooting yourself in the face.

The Phenom II 550 can have it's extra cores unlocked... Do we understand what that means?
They perform nearly dead on par with each other as it is, turn it into a quad and you will leave that poor old E8400 flat in the dust.

Granted that's not a guarantee but I'm 12/12 on unlocking cores.

I do agree on the video card comments though, that could use a bump :)

Thank you.

Would an e8 series even post on the board then? Is there such thing as a BSEL mod to lower the posting fsb? That is where my curiosity comes into play more.

EDIT: Think CL 5 would help with a higher fsb?

Oh and these are not rhetorical questions, I am seriously asking these. Either way, I still think the OP should just go with a Phenom 2 based system if he/she were to purchase a new platform.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2541

Especially see red line. You can also look down to see that 1333 FSB CPUs work at 1066 like I said in my previous posts. There is no reason for one motherboard supporting Conroe not to support Wolfdale. All it needs is a new BIOS. Voltage Regulation is done in the same way... but a Pentium 4 motherboard like a 925X chipset won't work with any Core 2 CPU because VRMs/Mosfets will work use different voltage scaling(higher)and that would result in incompatibility and boot failure.

Well, I don't think that there is any need for a platform change when you can just plug in a more powerful CPU with a GFX card and go game. Hardware change and Windows reinstallion isn't worth it in such case.

Ya I don't think I would EVER take a E8400 over a Phenom II, that's like shooting yourself in the face.

The Phenom II 550 can have it's extra cores unlocked... Do we understand what that means?
They perform nearly dead on par with each other as it is, turn it into a quad and you will leave that poor old E8400 flat in the dust.

Granted that's not a guarantee but I'm 12/12 on unlocking cores.

I do agree on the video card comments though, that could use a bump :)

See what I wrote above. That's completely unnecessery and uncalled for. And I personally take an E8400 over a P2 FOR GAMING ANYTIME. It's architecture is more efficent in pretty much every way and it just can't compete with a Wolfdale in games my opinion. . I'm not being an Intel fanboy here but that's the truth. A single core of a E8XXX is faster then a P2's in games. Knowing that most games don't even support multi-threading, E8400 becomes a lot better.

http://hwbot.org/hardware.compare.do?type=cpu&id=1512_1&id=1895_1

See the raw power of it's single core? That's it, it totally smokes P2.

About core unlocking, not only most of the games don't even support quad cores, those cores are disabled for are reason, it's because they were bad. Knowing that, those can screw up on you anytime and you wouldn't like to throw away 1200$, would you?

D

Deleted member 67555

@ Helper
LOOK at the facts from INTEL
945pl is limited to 8.5gb/s memory bandwidth
http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=22211

945g is limited to 10.7gb/s
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/945g/945g-overview.htm

You can tell this guy to keep beating a dead horse But it serves no purpose..

Last year I would have gone for the e8400 now NO WAY

LGA775 is DEAD AM3 is very much alive

In a year or 2 if he decides to upgrade his CPU I think it would be more affordable and productive to find a an AM3 over a long since dead LGA775

Your right an e8400 is faster than a Pii 550
But why would he want to buy a DEAD PLATFORM OVER ONE THAT IS STILL GOING!

If he could get it at a better price ok... but at the same price and all things considered the Intel system just isn't worth it

and i he was going just put a e8400 in his current system he would limit the CPU to start and then would be forced into an OC

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Yeah, right. I actually thought of a wall of post to say against this but I'll keep it to myself because it's getting like a joke. But I'll just say try a proper game instead of that piece of crap to test that. Go play any multiplayer Source mod with at least 20-25 player in the server. Get yourself a Pentium Dual Core and drop it all the way down to 1.6 GHZ. And then, take it up to somewhere around 3.2 GHZ. Come back and tell me the difference.

Take a look at this aswell... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=CPU+Bottleneck&rlz=1R2ADSA_trTR361&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10
Online multiplayer relies more on connection latency than most anything else. You can "yeah right" me all you want, doesn't make you right. The fact of the matter is, the gpu is the most important factor in gaming. The exceptions are usually RTS games like SupCom, and soem other occasional exceptions, but that is not the norm. "CPU bottleneck" shows up in benches, it hardly ever effects real and actual game play.

lover_pharaoh2002

System Name MTK
Processor Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Memory Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 bus 1333MHz CL9
Video Card(s) sapphire hd5750 1gb gddr5
Storage 2x Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AARS 640MB 64M Cache
Display(s) SAMSUNG 20" LCD 2043 16:9
Case Gamma
Audio Device(s) onborad
Power Supply Gamma 450watt
Software windows 7 32bit, windows 7 64bit
@ Helper
http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=22211

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/chipsets/945g/945g-overview.htm

In a year or 2 if he decides to upgrade his CPU I think it would be more affordable and productive to find a an AM3 over a long since dead LGA775

If he could get it at a better price ok... but at the same price and all things considered the Intel system just isn't worth it

and i he was going just put a e8400 in his current system he would limit the CPU to start and then would be forced into an OC
http://img.techpowerup.org/100119/jerk.jpg

I agree with you and with " Helper "
e8400 is more powerfull than pII 550 but it cheaper by (300 EP)
i found that Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz is the same price as e8400 but it more powerfull
so i think i will buy
Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz (950 EP)
Gigabyte GA-MA770t-UD3P (525 EP)
better than buying
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0GHz (950 EP)
GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR (700 EP)
what do u think guys?
note:I will never overclock

D

Deleted member 67555

i found that Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz is the same price as e8400 but it more powerfull
so i think i will buy
better than buying
what do u think guys?
And it has a future.. I honestly think that is a good choice

Here is a link to get an Idea of where CPU's Rank It's not exact as it depends on your system specs But it can give a good Idea on a Cpu's performance
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

A Phenom 955 Ranks at 50 with a score of 3,850

lover_pharaoh2002

System Name MTK
Case Gamma
Audio Device(s) onborad

Here is a link to get an Idea of where CPU's Rank It's not exact as it depends on your system specs But it can give a good Idea on a Cpu's performance

good cpu and good price i think ,

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P
is it good mobo ?
is there big diffrence in performance between it and Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H (880 EP)
with that cpu?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 67555

The 790XT-UD4P will Overclock slightly higher and it is a Crossfire Motherboard
and has Integrated Video that is good If your Video card dies

The 770 is for single GPU systems will not Overclock as well And is cheaper,
I cannot personally say what is better for you but they are both known to be good boards
If you never plan on running Crossfire than I would go with the 770 But that's just my opinion
I personally do not have a Gigabyte 770 or a 790 but I do have a Gigabyte 780g which has run Flawlessly for a little over a year now

I have also used a Biostar 790gx A2+ and think it's a good Chipset (the 790 chipset)
I have a Jetway 790gx running my HTPC and do like that as well (but i do not recommend Jetway Motherboards) Here is that system http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=113238

I am just now Building a system with an AM3 770 motherboard (waiting on the memory)
I will be able to say more about that sometime Tomorrow, However it's an MSI-C45 770
If it's anything like the last 770 motherboard I had, which was an AM2+ 770 it should be a solid system.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Helper

Thank you, can't you read my last post directed towards you? What did I just say? It doesn't matter. I know that it causes more bandwidth. Faster RAM=More Bandwidth. You don't need to show me that. I told you it makes no difference. Here, look http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/core2duo-memory-guide_4.html See that? The difference between 133 MHZ faster memory is close to zero. AND you only ever see that in the memory benchmark. It'll make no difference while you're surfing the net or gaming. Maybe half a frame at most. You can't possibly notice that. I'm tired of saying the same thing why don't you understand?

LGA 775 isn't dead. Look at the news on the front page of this site. If it was really DEAD like Socket 939 dead, they wouldn't have released new CPUs to it. Also, if processors are still capable, then how can it be dead? I'm pretty sure many people will still have their Socket 775 setups in 2011 or 2012. Not everyone want a whole new shiny i5 or 790FX setup. A Core 2 Quad is on par or better then a Phenom X4 and there is no reason it should be dead. Yeah, an E8400'll be downclocked but it's still way faster then Pentium Dual Core and take off CPU bottleneck. I said this many times before. I'm bored...

Online multiplayer relies more on connection latency than most anything else. You can "yeah right" me all you want, doesn't make you right. The fact of the matter is, the gpu is the most important factor in gaming. The exceptions are usually RTS games like SupCom, and soem other occasional exceptions, but that is not the norm. "CPU bottleneck" shows up in benches, it hardly ever effects real and actual game play.

What are you talking about? Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBozoPf3q1c Why do you think this guy's game is stuttering? Is it because of his ping? No, he is playing it singleplayer. Is it because of his video card? No, there is hardly any intensive textures on that first map. It's all because of insufficent amount of processing power to handle ragdolls and AI. It wouldn't have happened if that poor guy had a cascade cooled i7 extreme at 5 GHZ. Also, look http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742566&highlight=Stress+Test
How the hell did a faster CPU changed his score that much? In A STRESS TEST THAT WASN'T EVEN STRESSING THE CPU AT ALL. CS:S` benchmark is just about a moving camera train showing off bump mapping, displacement mapping, water effects etc... but processor was still holding his GFX power back. A faster one let him see twice as much as frames not only in stress-test, but also in a server full of players.

so i think i will buy
better than buying
what do u think guys?

Get E8400 right now and plug it in with a HD 5770. You can get Gigabyte P45 later on to make the CPU work faster. I'm not against a better and newer mobo, but it's second priority for games. Buy a faster GPU and a CPU at first. That is what will change your gaming experience without the hassle of a mobo change, Windows reinstall.

The 790XT-UD4P will Overclock slightly higher

The 770 is for single GPU systems will not Overclock as well And is cheaper

Passmark supports multi cores and will show a Quad Core above most of the dual core CPUs. But an E8400 will be faster for a lot of single threaded games at the same clock speed AGAIN and even you said it yourself while you were comparing it to Phenom X2.

My recent observations were right aswell. I told you guys that he isn't going to overclock. He said it himself and you still tell him to do that. E8400 with a Gigabyte P45 will overclock a lot more then Phenom Combo also. At least 1 GHZ more easily.

Man, go for E8400 no matter you overclock or not. It'll be faster for games.

lover_pharaoh2002

System Name MTK
Case Gamma
Audio Device(s) onborad
Get E8400 right now and plug it in with a HD 5770. You can get Gigabyte P45 later on to make the CPU work faster. I'm not against a better and newer mobo, but it's second priority for games. Buy a faster GPU and a CPU at first. That is what will change your gaming experience without the hassle of a mobo change, Windows reinstall.

Passmark supports multi cores and will show a Quad Core above most of the dual core CPUs. But an E8400 will be faster for a lot of single threaded games at the same clock speed AGAIN and even you said it yourself while you were comparing it to Phenom X2.

My recent observations were right aswell. I told you guys that he isn't going to overclock. He said it himself and you still tell him to do that. E8400 with a Gigabyte P45 will overclock a lot more then Phenom Combo also. At least 1 GHZ more easily.

Man, go for E8400 no matter you overclock or not. It'll be faster for games.

i'm not use my rig for games only but adobe photoshopand encoding movies
why i sholud buy e8400 while i can get Phenom II X4 955 for the same price!and i will change my mobo to good mobe will be more good than my 945p and will be cheaper than p45 !?

i'm not use my rig for games only but adobe photoshopand encoding movies
why i sholud buy e8400 while i can get Phenom II X4 955 for the same price!and i will change my mobo to good mobe will be more good than my 945p and will be cheaper than p45 !?

You should have said this in the first place mate. I thought it all based on gaming. You should go for the Phenom setup if you're planning to do rendering/encoding or multi-tasking. Quad Core would be way better for that and also cheaper.

So to sum it all up, I'll say get a cheap Phenom Combo if video streaming/photoshop, everyday computer use is your priority. Or get the E8400 with a faster graphics card(how many times did I say this LOL) if you wanna game.

To everyone, sorry for the inconvenience that I caused. I was only thinking about games... and what'll be better for those...

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Thank you, can't you read my last post directed towards you? What did I just say? It doesn't matter. I know that it causes more bandwidth. Faster RAM=More Bandwidth. You don't need to show me that. I told you it makes no difference. Here, look http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/core2duo-memory-guide_4.html See that? The difference between 133 MHZ faster memory is close to zero. AND you only ever see that in the memory benchmark. It'll make no difference while you're surfing the net or gaming. Maybe half a frame at most. You can't possibly notice that. I'm tired of saying the same thing why don't you understand?

LGA 775 isn't dead. Look at the news on the front page of this site. If it was really DEAD like Socket 939 dead, they wouldn't have released new CPUs to it. Also, if processors are still capable, then how can it be dead? I'm pretty sure many people will still have their Socket 775 setups in 2011 or 2012. Not everyone want a whole new shiny i5 or 790FX setup. A Core 2 Quad is on par or better then a Phenom X4 and there is no reason it should be dead. Yeah, an E8400'll be downclocked but it's still way faster then Pentium Dual Core and take off CPU bottleneck. I said this many times before. I'm bored...

What are you talking about? Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBozoPf3q1c Why do you think this guy's game is stuttering? Is it because of his ping? No, he is playing it singleplayer. Is it because of his video card? No, there is hardly any intensive textures on that first map. It's all because of insufficent amount of processing power to handle ragdolls and AI. It wouldn't have happened if that poor guy had a cascade cooled i7 extreme at 5 GHZ. Also, look http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742566&highlight=Stress+Test
How the hell did a faster CPU changed his score that much? In A STRESS TEST THAT WASN'T EVEN STRESSING THE CPU AT ALL. CS:S` benchmark is just about a moving camera train showing off bump mapping, displacement mapping, water effects etc... but processor was still holding his GFX power back. A faster one let him see twice as much as frames not only in stress-test, but also in a server full of players.
A youtube video, and going from 170fps to 230 fps is your proof? Ummm, no. First off, you have to run something to record the game while playing. That right there lags framrates. Second, youtube vids are limited in their fps.

As far as the stress test, the difference between 170fps and 230 fps is humanly impossible to notice without a program measuring it. Therefore, both setups are equally playable. Aka: It only makes a difference in benchmarks, not gameplay. Those examples do not work towards your cause.

@lover_pharaoh2002 - If Photoshop and encoding is the primary concern, quad core is the way to go. You might even want to consider trading your ATI card for an nVidia 9600 or similar, as there are some encoding apps that can use the nVidia gpu to encode video, and it does it much faster than the quad core. My 8800GT is 4-5x faster at encoding than my QX9650. I use Mediacoder for encoding.

Last edited:
A youtube video, and going from 170fps to 230 fps is your proof? Ummm, no. First off, you have to run something to record the game while playing. That right there lags framrates. Second, youtube vids are limited in their fps.

As far as the stress test, the difference between 170fps and 230 fps is humanly impossible to notice without a program measuring it. Therefore, both setups are equally playable. Aka: It only makes a difference in benchmarks, not gameplay. Those examples do not work towards your cause.

Both of those are excellent examples of processor bottleneck. Where did you come to the conclution that THE VIDEO I POSTED being recorded by a software causes that lag? Why don't every other Fraps recorded game trailer, intros ever lag? You think people always direct a camera towards a monitor to record a game? That would just be pointless. He didn't record a timedemo from console, yeah if it was one of those I would have said yes it's because he recorded from game console. But he did it with Fraps. You can record at which frame you want with that program. Did you even watch that video? That poor guy filled up the screen with ragdolls and it became unplayable on his system. It's entirely because his CPU usage became %100.

YouTube videos are limited in frames? LOL dude are you fine? What does a video's frame have to do with what plays in that video? That's got to be the most ridicilious post I've ever read here.

Let's come to that stress test guy... what did he say right there? He said he got a minimum of 140 frames at the beginning with x2 4800 with his programs and background services closed. He got a little bit more with x2 5600... at the end, he got 215 frames with a crapload of stuff in the background including NORTON ANTI-VIRUS... He would have gotten 230-240 FPS with everthing closed again. That's around 100 frames more then what he got in the beginning. What did I say about CS:S Stress Test? Have you ever done that? It just shows off textures and stresses on GPU, it doesn't do anything to stress CPU after all. But having a faster CPU still unleashes power of your GPU even if you don't load it, and it gives you more FPS. He also stated that his FPS was jumping from 100 to 50 with the X2 it was 90 to 100 constant with C2D while playing on a full public server. Do you need some reading comprehension?

I myself played Source engine games for years with a P4 2.8. My game lagged everytime I used to blow off some wood particles. I was always getting around 30, 40 FPS playing in full Dust2 servers. Then I got myself a Conroe setup in 2007 and guess what? My game never stuttered again when I exploded woods and I started seeing 130-140 frames with my same, good old 6600 GT...

Processor bottleneck does exist, I gave you examples of people living/gaming with for years. You just read some articles saying that todays procs are capable of running everyting full power and tried to test it with some crappy game called Crysis. It didn't make any difference for you. But it certainly did for us. Maybe you aren't that much of a gamer. I understand, but please stop trying to save your arse by posting non-sense. Thanks.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Both of those are excellent examples of processor bottleneck. Where did you come to the conclution that THE VIDEO I POSTED being recorded by a software causes that lag? Why don't every other Fraps recorded game trailer, intros ever lag? You think people always direct a camera towards a monitor to record a game? That would just be pointless. He didn't record a timedemo from console, yeah if it was one of those I would have said yes it's because he recorded from game console. But he did it with Fraps. You can record at which frame you want with that program. Did you even watch that video? That poor guy filled up the screen with ragdolls and it became unplayable on his system. It's entirely because his CPU usage became %100.

YouTube videos are limited in frames? LOL dude are you fine? What does a video's frame have to do with what plays in that video? That's got to be the most ridicilious post I've ever read here.

Let's come to that stress test guy... what did he say right there? He said he got a minimum of 140 frames at the beginning with x2 4800 with his programs and background services closed. He got a little bit more with x2 5600... at the end, he got 215 frames with a crapload of stuff in the background including NORTON ANTI-VIRUS... He would have gotten 230-240 FPS with everthing closed again. That's around 100 frames more then what he got in the beginning. What did I say about CS:S Stress Test? Have you ever done that? It just shows off textures and stresses on GPU, it doesn't do anything to stress CPU after all. But having a faster CPU still unleashes power of your GPU even if you don't load it, and it gives you more FPS. He also stated that his FPS was jumping from 100 to 50 with the X2 it was 90 to 100 constant with C2D while playing on a full public server. Do you need some reading comprehension?

I myself played Source engine games for years with a P4 2.8. My game lagged everytime I used to blow off some wood particles. I was always getting around 30, 40 FPS playing in full Dust2 servers. Then I got myself a Conroe setup in 2007 and guess what? My game never stuttered again when I exploded woods and I started seeing 130-140 frames with my same, good old 6600 GT...

Processor bottleneck does exist, I gave you examples of people living/gaming with for years. You just read some articles saying that todays procs are capable of running everyting full power and tried to test it with some crappy game called Crysis. It didn't make any difference for you. But it certainly did for us. Maybe you aren't that much of a gamer. I understand, but please stop trying to save your arse by posting non-sense. Thanks.
No, you need to understand that yes, fraps ALWAYS introduces more lag than the game naturally has. It's fact, not conjecture. Again, you are just wrong.

And I never said the bottleneck doesn't exist. I said it doesn't matter in REAL WORLD gaming. That person would never have been able to tell the difference between 150 and 230 fps if a program had not told him about it. Hell, he wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between 90fps and 1000000fps. That is biology, and indisputable. Even moreso if he used an LCD, which can't display that many frames anyway.

I also never said I only tested in Crysis. I also tested GRAW, GRAW2, COD4, HL2 and Prey. Gameplay never changed. Not all of them did I do benchmarks, just played. The game was always just as playable. I notice frame dips below 50fps on average, so I don't have the fastest eyes in the world, but none of those games lost their playability. Which tells me they all stayed pretty well above 50fps, regardless of cpu settings.

Besides, you also only have used one example. Where are you multitude of tests to debunk me? Even if your tests did prove something beyond a shadow of a doubt, in my experience that is the exception, not the norm.

And to throw another wrench into your examples, try raising the resolution and see how cpu plays into it.

Sorry, but there are countless threads, tests and articles around that say you are wrong. CPU has little effect on playability in most games, although a noticeable effect on benchmarking. Give DaMulta a PM and ask him about the performance of an 8800GT 1GB on a single core Athlon 64. ;)

AT any rate, the OP has already been solved, and we are going way off topic here, considering he already told us gaming is not important, so if you would like to continue, I suggest a new thread or something, so we don't get in trouble.

D

Deleted member 67555

@ lover pharaoh2002

It would seem This AM3 770 Motherboard runs on par with the 790's that I have
The only difference being No integrated Video and no CrossFire

@Helper
LOL
Yes I can Read and I even understand the Context of what I'm reading
Such as That Xbitslab Article is from September of 2006
And it refers to the C2Q and C2D E6xxx and Q6xxx Series on a 975x at that...LOL(946gz and ICH8r) Which is what made the P-35's so popular...Cause they followed the 975's with a much better memory controller hub....and not mention those numbers don't come close to the 8xxx and 9xxx series Cpu's

However even at those speeds your talking an Average of 215mb/s improvement
That is certainly not insignificant

Alright guys, I've got no more moves left. It's midnight here, my head started aching and eyestrain argh... you won. I give up. Wile, I won't try to convince you that a slower CPU slows down the whole gameplay. You're right, it doesn't make a significent difference. Heh...

But jmcjob, we were talking about ye olde chipsets you know? DDR2-667 to DDR2-800 remember? Not P35(DDR21200+) to half of it(667) 945PL? You believed in a few hundred more MB/s more bandwidth changing stuff despite a CL of more latency. Well, I didn't. I think everyone should believe in what they want from now on... Good night :)

D

Deleted member 67555

Alright guys, I've got no more moves left. It's midnight here, my head started aching and eyestrain argh... you won. I give up. Wile, I won't try to convince you that a slower CPU slows down the whole gameplay. You're right, it doesn't make a significent difference. Heh...

But jmcjob, we were talking about ye olde chipsets you know? DDR2-667 to DDR2-800 remember? Not P35(DDR21200+) to half of it(667) 945PL? You believed in a few hundred more MB/s more bandwidth changing stuff despite a CL of more latency. Well, I didn't. I think everyone should believe in what they want from now on... Good night :)
good night...sweet dreams....

I concede to older chipsets and memory and as always latency determines a lot
I DO AGREE A FASTER CPU IS NEEDED! WITH A BETTER FSB/HT/EGI(whichever he goes with) AS WELL AS A NEW GFX CARD AND A MUCH BETTER CHIPSET and of course MEMORY

I think with his needs He would be well suited to get a Quad core and for the Price i would go with an AMD as well new DDR3 then after he gets all that settled Then he may wish to upgrade his GFX card

or even an I5 if it's affordable