1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Gilletter, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    $99 is steal, and 8320's have enormous headroom you should really OC it, it would be a waste not to. For that you'll need a decent board.

ASUS have a couple of cheaper 970 and 99X boards that will handle a decent OC and won't break your bank account either....

I'll have a look on on Newegg :)

$99...incredible. anyone know if Microcentre ship international?
  2. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Wow NewEgg hardly have any in stock.... I was looking for the M5A97-EVO but they don't have any.

Anyway this is one of boards it's 99x-EVO, it's $34 more than the biostar u looked at but has much better power handling with 8+2 phase digi vrm (6cpu/2 nb/2 dram) way better cooling.
    Biostar has 4+1 analogue which isn't really adequate for Vishera.

It also supports SLI/CF at 8x.

$114

[​IMG]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131874

This one is M5A97 so no SLI/CF but has same vrm power and cooling as the 99X EVO. and will have no prob running a Vishera.

$94

[​IMG]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

Personally I'd go with 99x-Evo but it's your money. I also have the M5A97-Evo as a spare rig, it's been running a Phenom II at 4.3Ghz for 3yrs no problems....

So yeah..... For the small difference in price they're a heap better board.
  3. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    and likely will not be available for long anymore ... so unless he did a directbuy the day of the flash deal : not likely to happen soon again. (IE: it's back to 153.83 atm.)

but if he's only gaming he can go for a 63xx who has the same result ingame ... and a 990X/FX instead of a 970... or a FM2+ setup while being cheaper can also give good result, not the combo A10-7850K + R7 H-CFX ofc ... unless Mantle get widely adopted

if taken with a X4 760K and a R9 270, no game i throw at it fails (hell i was doubting i would get above 35fps at max in crysis 3 in medium settings but it get to 45 and above in very high)
    (im an enthusiast ... it burns me to play on that thing but as the OP i was on a budget when i assembled that rig and in the end im pretty satisfied with it)
  4. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    you want to maximize your money "efficiency" but starting with a psu 520 w is the contrary ;'[
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_r9_290_crossfire_review_benchmarks,4.html

a 1000-1200 w with a 80platinium badge is the best and has nearly no-waste at 50% of its full power .
    the corsair ax1200 is the first digital psu and is perfect with a 7 or 8 years warranty
    even before the psu , you should buy an ups : apc or eaton [look for them on amazon]
    a 1200 w psu needs a 1500-1800 va ups
    your 520 w needs a 850 va , prices start at $100 .
    it will live "forever" and protect your current pc [ and modem ] from electrical troubles like the one that killed your psu and may be damaged the whole pc . with an ups you could have spend nearly $300-400 on new cards and sell the old on ebay ;']
  5. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and then there's the question of does he even need to upgrade at all? If games/internet/movies etc run OK and then I don't really see the point tbh.....it's not Crysis3 at 1440p :p

OP y do u want to upgrade?
  6. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    I hope you're not serious....o_o

Why are you linking to G3D with CF 290's? Is that what FarCry requires now?

Op is on a tight budget anyway from what could see.... and a UPS? Not really necessary unless the guy is running server with critical data...it's home PC.....not a NASA computer. :) All that stuff costs $$.

The ax1200 is a good PSU though, if you need that much power. So is the ax860.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    mostly true ... even my Phenom X4 9600B with the R9 270 and 4gb DDR2 800 was enough for me ... but in the end : the FM2+ setup give it more survivability, and even over a AM3+ (main concern was: AM3+ 990 board doesn't exist in µATX and i wanted to use my SG09B as the main box :D )

i also didn't or failed to find any relevance to the OP initial idea in his post ....
  8. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Yeah except unfortunately Kaveri is still behind PD in performance, but they're improving. One thing I don't get is why 4 SR cores not 8? Seems to be completely the opposite direction they started in with Bulldozer.
    I would probably drool all over a SR based hexcore. lol

Also keen to see how FM2+ progresses, whether it march on or whether AM4 is going to happen, (unlikely). I always liked AMD cuz of backward compatibility.....hope it continues with the APU's.
    GreiverBlade says thanks.
  9. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    due to the 4T/2CMT SR instead of a 8T/4CMT PD but steamroller IPC is a bit better, in a matter of gaming/web/movie the gain of 8T/4CMT is marginal

my previous rig had a Xeon E3-1275V2 + a GTX770 ... see what i mean by enthusiast bound by a budget ... :cry:
  10. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    ^Yeah I hear ya. :D I don't even game much anymore...well I do but the only titles liked in the last few years were ME2, ME3 and Fallout NV. Jeez I'm still playing BF2 Project Reality lol. Colda just kept my Phenom II and still be happy. I upgraded my whole rig for BF3, then stopped playing after 2 weeks. lol Thanks EA you @#$%'s.

So glad I learnt my lesson and didn't get sucked into BF4. Every day at G3D those guys are bitching about something different related to the game, EA or Dice or Mantle...etc. I just smile

Heh here's a prime example...started an hour ago. Naturally I had to express how happy I am that I don't suffer chronic BF4 syndrome. :D
    after playing BF4, what does the community think of it

Was really looking forward to Fallout 4 too, till I read Obsidian would not be involved. Now I am disappoint....:p I guess there's always ME4...
  11. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    ahah :D i played BF4 (a friend gave me a key for it) COD:ghost same i do like going thru a Crysis 3 solo campaign (a friend gave me a Hunter Ed. key ... ) i still play and replay ME 1/2/3 i don't bitch for anything like Mantle but i expect to see it supported (c'mon bitching over free performance increase? that's a joke)

my best fun i get is from BFBC2 ... c'mon Texas and easy going pompom girl? hell yeah (the storyline was just too funny and Haggart quotes almost made me die laughing)

to be in topic again : best bang for bucks atm (excepted a flash bargain over a 8core FX ) would be the same configuration as i have for now (minus the parts the OP already has) or go intel and a i3 setup ... wait ... no.
  12. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    there are plenty of cards and r9 was something he wrote , as well as crossfire
    here are part of the article :
    We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Power consumption AMD Radeon R9-290

1. System in IDLE = 128W
    2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 372W
    3. Difference (GPU load) = 244W
    4. Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
    5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 254 Watts
    -----------
    Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

• AMD Radeon R9 290 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550~600 Watt power supply unit.

so = you want to maximize your money "efficiency" but starting with a psu 520 w is the contrary ;'[
    520w at 80 % efficiency is 405 w nearly like Gpu in full stress

ups is not reserved to nasa , these jesters should have plenty ;']
  13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    again .... in what, your post is related to the OP concern?
  14. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    i wonder if he is a fish : they have a memory buffering of 5 seconds

some should have it hard but i give advice considering he has a brand new 520w psu....

last advice from guru3d link i posted :

What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

• bad 3D performance
    • crashing games
    • spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
    • freezing during gameplay
    • PSU overload can cause it to break down

may be that is why his psu died ...?
  15. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:

i got it you were giving advice on the PSU but it's too late if, not relevant...

also he already has the PSU therefore the point is null at the moment, moreover : a single 7870 even ghz ed will not need a 1kW psu ... i have a R9 270 and a 530w no 80+ but efficiency rated 87% which is between lvl of 80+ Gold a 80+ Platinum
    1kW is overkill even for his actual rig. i never had such problems with my other AM2+ rig and a GTX460 HAWK heavily OC on a 380W Antec earthwatt 80, my 530W will even be enough (tho a bit on the limite) if i CF for a 2nd 270

i had a rig with a i7-920 @ 4.4ghz + 2 Asus GTX580 Matrix Platinum @ 950/1250 on a 700W 80+ Gold PSU

the only thing relevant is : maybe he got a crappy PSU (batch or overall no name one)

again nothing that what he have or plan to get justify a 1kW 80+ platinum PSU or a UPC for my instance i have "only" a 100W CPU so 530W is more than sufficient... but for the 8320 i would recommend a 600-650 (even with OC and CFX headroom) but surely not a 1kW

also on the point of recommendation of a R9 270 or a GTX 760 above a 7870ghz or a 660/660Ti is ofc because of the power efficiency over the previous gen
  16. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    so jcgeny is recommending a 1200 watt PSU for a 8320/GTX 760 system, with the OP not saying anything about OC'ing? Hell I run a 2600k OC'ed to 4.5ghz, a GTX 780ti OC'ed to 1250mhz core 2000 MHz memory on a 750 watt PSU with plenty of power to spare. Even when I was running crossfire 5870 cards, I didn't have any power issues. 520 watts from a decent PSU is plenty of this system.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. jcgeny

jcgeny

Thanks Received:
    i did not say it will not work but the psu will be at his maximum or above and then die , may be killing the mainboard and the home-electricity if he has no ups...
    another paper about psu efficiency :
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624/3

when psu is at max and above he tends to use 120-130% of electricity ....at 600 w that makes nearly 300 w paid and money not spared .
    a cpu at 50% or around : a 860 or 1000w only waste 10 % , 60 w ....so he spared a lot of $ by not paying the 240 w .

it is like that some are getting rich , by having wise choices
  18. Pill Monster

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know what it says, I've been an active member with Guru since 2006...it's my 2nd home. :D

I only signed up here cuz I needed to ask Wiz something one day and Unwinder wouldn't pass on a message for me. So here we are. :p

But anyway OT that info Hilbert wrote at the bottom is directed at junk PSU's which claim 800W etc and cost $35. what a bargain. lol
    A decent 500W with good 12vA is all u need for something like a 7850 or 770. or even 280x. Headroom is always good of course because of future upgrades, plus no PSU's should be working at 100%,all day long...but for OP situation it's fine.

Buying a very expensive 1200W PSU to only use 50% of the available power a waste of cash. All 80+ rated power supplies must be 80% efficient at 20, 50 and 100% load no matter what size they are.
    This means that within reason higher wattage PSU's are not more efficient, that's the whole point of active PFC and the 80+ rating.

I doubt any of the older guys at G3D or even Hilbert would suggest a 1200Wax unless it was for quadfire, and nobody there is going endorse quadfire until AMD sort out the scaling problems. lol :D :p

Anyway decent power supplies should last 5yrs or so...many middle of the road units come with 3,4,5,6,7 yr warranty. I think even Coolermaster back their budget GX units for 5yrs...
    Hey I have 4 mid-tier AcBel (CM SilentPro OEM) 700w/750w units still running, oldest was bought 6yrs ago.
    A Silverstone Strider 550W can be found on newegg for around $55.

Or how about an XFX branded Seasonic Gold 750W ~$75 and a (4yr?) guarantee?
    My forum bud got one last year after he blew up his P8V-LE motherboard...(crap vrms). Damn good value imho.

Some people are looking for the best value for money instead of just "the best".........anyway I gotta go to work, I have no doubt the OP will be in capable hands here.so I'll catch u later. Bye. :)
  19. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Chose the mobo for solid caps, and I have a decent biostar now, plus with the ram it gives a $40 combo discount and a $25 mir and the gtx 760 showed better $239... Cant believe how expensive ATI has been getting
  20. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Last psu was a BFG 650 watt modular that was 5/6 years old... I figured it just died a slow death.
  21. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    Because current system is 3/4 years old... I'm just ready for newer tech.
  22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    so i manage to get cheaper or on the same level without combo and mir ... for the 760 you are lucky :D for me they are more 280$ and the R9 270 was 180$

it is only 280/X 290/X who get their price buffed by Sh*tcoins madness ... gosh people should really use block erupter instead of AMD cards... oh well when you see a BTC asic miner at 3800chf 2nd hand you got to question yourself how those people do money ... by mining or by selling their old mining gears for insane price ... or effectively by mining ...

btw : try to not triple post ... you can reply to multiple person in one post just click reply when editing the same post
    just
    like that
  23. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    I tried not to lol. Responding on phone made it a bit harder to combine