1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade from GTX670 to 2x R9 290 or R9 290X worth it?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by shovenose, Dec 1, 2013.

1. shovenose

shovenose

Thanks Received:
    So, I have a MicroATX case and mobo and I'd need to buy a new PSU but I think I could make it work.

Right now I have a Sparkle Calibre nVidia GeForce GTX 670 2GB.

What do you think my best option would be:
    -keep the GTX670 if I would not notice a huge improvement in either upgrade
    -2x CrossFire R9 290
    -1x R9 290X

I'll wait for aftermarket coolers but would the upgrade be worth it?
    I use three 23" monitors I usually just game on one but if AMD Eyefinity worked better than nVidia Surround I'd do it across all three.

All the best,
    shovenose

Edit: Heck, I'd probably be better off with a new non-small case and motherboard as well, if I went the CF R9 290 route. But really, is it worth it?

2. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    With the information given about what you want from a upgrade I would say
    a: You will toast the rest off your small box if you run two off these room heaters in it
    b: daaa

Edit: you will of course wait for an after marked cooling solution and get a at least 2*140 mm fans in your NEW case.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I was just in the same situation, but got impatient in waiting for the custom-cooler 290x cards and decided the get a EVGA ACX cooled GTX 780ti. And I do mean I was just in your position. I ordered the 780ti Thanksgiving day. It hasn't even arrived yet.

For crossfired R9 290 cards, I'd definitely go ATX. With 290 cards having very close to the same performance as the 290X, the 290 cards will definitely be faster. But even with better coolers, they will still produce a lot of heat, it'll just be dissipated faster. Also meaning the heat is being put in the surrounding air faster. I would imagine a single custom cooler 290X would be ok in a micro-ATX case, so long as you have plenty of ventilation. My previous 7970 OC'ed to 1100/1400 would handle just about any game at 1600p, so I would imagine a custom-cooled 290X would have no problem with any game at all.

purecain says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm not a huge fan of dual-card setups so I'd say wait for the aftermarket designed 290X's to come out and see what works for you. I'm sure it'll handle the triple monitors better than your 670. If your case has good exhaust that would be critical to keeping everything stable imho. More GPU power = more heat in the case....as always but even moreso with the 290's. I'm sure it's performance would be well worth it though! :)

5. Kaynar

Thanks Received:
    Not worth to crossfire new AMD cards, too much heat from both cards in ur case will throttle them after few minutes of gaming.... You need watercooling for those.

6. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Get a single custom 290x and forget CFX/SLI, both of those technologies are a brilliant gamble and a single 290x is plentifully faster than your current setup.

Custom 290x shouldn't be that far away, just today some info on the 290x Lightning has leaked.

7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Link please! :clap:

EDIT: Found it on Videocardz....

8. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    with a single 290x IN batman Arkham origins I get fps, 98 - 170 ingame fps.... runs silky smooth on ultra settings...8xAA@1920x1200...:toast: