1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade from OCZ Vertex 2 50gb to OCZ Revodrive 120gb or OCZ Vertex 2 50gb+60 RAID 0?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by n-ster, Sep 11, 2010.

1. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I could buy myself another OCZ Vertex 2 60gb, at the cost of 155$, or I could sell it and get myself an OCZ RevoDrive 120gb at 402$... Maybe even keep the Vertex 2, but could I have a use for it? I would probably stick it in my laptop

The burst rate on the Revodrive is quite impressive!

What could be the disadvantages?

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well with mine are in Raid 0 and a issue you may have is if you want a partition and if any thing like mine you cannot go over 50%. See i wanted 40GB (OS) and the rest on the second part ( were my games go ).

Would you not just get 100GB as it be double the size of the smallest drive.

For what boost you would actually get may as well run them as single drives as when not using benchmark apps the speeds difference is minor so there fore risking all data is not worth it imo.

Having your games on SSD as well as your OS is a boost as games save games are there too. And noticed COH or COHO load faster than my friends i7 setup with him using HDDs. And it don't matter who is hosting either and both of us have a good speeds as i live in PA and he lives in IL.

If it was me i would wait till the next INTEL drive is out. But you really want one now i go for fastest and latest with good reviews and such and forget about raid 0.

3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    both are RAID 0 :p

its not only speed, its space that I want on my SSD, and since I don't see better drives in the very near future, I would like to buy now

4. nailzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    The OCZ Revodrive doesn't support TRIM, and I believe Raid 0 doesn't either.

5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    it doesn't support TRIM BECAUSE of RAID 0 :p

6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thats why i got the INTEL ones and would wait for their next ones as you do not need windays 7 either.

7. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I hear degradation isn't that bad?

8. nailzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    I may have been wrong..:)

Update (03/29/2010): Intel has recently released a new driver that allows Windows 7’s TRIM instructions to be passed through the Southbridge. The new driver is labeled "Rapid Storage Technology 9.6" and it can be found here. These drivers are also able to pass TRIM commands to RAID 0 and RAID 1 arrays.

My early testing with the new RST 9.6 driver shows that the drive is much faster than the Microsoft Windows 7 AHCI driver whilst also being just as stable. Testing has also shown a significant performance increase in many real world tests with a significant boost in the 4K range.

http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/3116/tweaktown_s_solid_state_drive_optimization_guide/index.html

9. mudkip

mudkip

Thanks Received:
    Still TRIM doesn't work. It can PASS the trim command. E.g. when you have 2 x Intel Postville 80GB and 1 x Intel Postville 120GB then only the 120GB will be able to use TRIM. The Raid config won't have TRIM at all :)

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Well, I bought another vertex 2 :p