1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade Help

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by hooj, Apr 5, 2008.

1. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey ppl :pimp:im gettin into pc gaming now so what steps should i take to ugrade my pc (look at computer specs)into an intel/ ati rig and get mid settings on crysis, not really bothered about maxing things out except tes 4:rockout:, ty.

Budget around £300-500.

P.s i would like to keep harddrives, optical drive, LCD.u
  2. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't remember the good sites for buying hardware in the UK, so until someone can help with that, I'll assume your budget is about 600-1000 USD.

Since you're looking at Intel / Ati, I'd go with a P35 chipset since it is fast, has great overclocking and can use Crossfire as well. I use the ASUS P5K-e Wifi and it rocks! The Abit IP35 Pro is another great one as well. Either one of those will cost 150 - 170 USD.

RAM is easy and cheap now, so I'd say 2x1GB 800mhz DDR2 which cost anywhere from 40-100 USD. If you want 2x2GB then expect to pay more.

For CPU you can get either an e8400 or Q6600 which cost around 180 and ~240 USD. Of course if you want to save some dough you can shoot low like I have and make up the performance in overclocking.

Video card... it's hard not to suggest nVidia since they have great stuff ATM, but so does Ati. I'd go with a 3850 or 3870. For nVidia your options aren't as limited and I'd say go with either an 8800GT, 8800GTS or 9600GT. Really the videocard just depends on how much money you're willing to spend. Those range from 150-300 USD, but of course you can spend more.

If you want a new case that's truly your own preference. Antec, Coolermaster and LianLi are a few brands that are top of the line. Any of those and you'll be happy with it. (80+)

PSU you'll want something with quite a bit of power, but you don't have to go overkill on it. I love my PCP&C 610 Silencer for it's cooling and stability. I'm a bit biased on that aspect so others can give you pointers there as well. (80-150 USD)

These are some rough suggestions to get you started with some ideas. If you go the more expensive route which I've told you it runs around 800 USD or so. That should leave you some leftover to get some aftermarket cooling for your CPU and GPU.
  3. VroomBang New Member

Thanks Received:
    my suggestion would be:

- ATI HD3850 or HD3870 or Geforce 8800GT. New graphics cards have recently come up though (9600, 9800). Have a look at benchmarks on the web.
    I would personally wait a little bit, as I find current DX10 cards insufficient, especially considering their price. This year should bring us much better graphics cards, and they really are key to great gaming. If you don't want to wait, then hunt down the best possible bargain with the first 3 models above, bearing in mind they'll be obsolete in 1.5 year. If I had to chose one now, I'd go for the 8800GT.

- Core 2 Duo or Quad (benchmarks favour E8xxx over Q6xxx or Q9xxx for gaming so far but could change in the future, although I doubt you'll notice any difference, as games are mostly gpu driven)

- decent mobo, stable at 1600MHz FSB at least, so that you can push the cpu to 3.6GHz without touching the cpu core voltage (on the E8400 for example) and thus preventing damage. Be carefull here, if you intend to keep your IDE drives, since new mobos tend to come with one IDE PATA port only (for up to 2 "old" IDE drives) and many SATA ports. Always check the mobo doc from the maker's website. Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, Asrock are all reputable brands. First narrow down the models you like/need, using a comparative table with all their respective specs. Then read users reviews in newegg or other retailers' sites to avoid faulty batches and lemons. Finally, stick to the latest revisions, which tend to fix teething problems and come with th latest BIOS version.

- a well known psu, with at least 500W, which should give you a bit of headroom should you add components later. Some graphic cards are very power hungry and will require a certain continuous output on the 12V rail. Check the doc for the graphic card first, before chosing the psu.

- at least 2GB of DDR2 RAM PC-6400 (800MHz) or higher spec, depending on your intention to OC or not. DDR2 is cheap compared to DDR3, and is good enough. Some mobos will allow you to install one or the other, but I would stick to DDR2 since there's little difference in performance between the two right now.

- aftermarket cpu air cooler if you intend to OC. Xigmatek is the new kid on the block and their S1283 is fantastic and quite inexpensive. Other more established names are Noctua, Zalman, Scythe, Thermalright, Thermaltake.

Whatever you chose, always do some research on every single component, i.e. read reviews, benchmarks, people's comments, users' feedback etc.

It's not an easy task as there's a lot of choice out there. So you have to be prepared to spend some time inquiring and reading about it all.

Good luck and welcome to PC Gaming! :D
  4. hooj

hooj New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys, great suggestions :respect:
  5. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Or you could something like it my spec, maybe get you a better video card. My system was around $900. But i'm in the US.