1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade or new pc need advice

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by EviLZeD, Dec 13, 2008.

1. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys as you can see from my system specs my computers getting a little dated, I was planning a new i7 build early 09 but after seeing those motherboard prices and ddr3 ones im thinking of waiting for it to get cheaper because when i bought my 2 x 2gig corsair sets they were £130 each then suddenly memory went really cheap and yeah i was pretty mad haha also i want to see how phenoms 2 perform.

Do you think i should upgrade my cpu to a phenom quad for now and wait a little or should i just go for a whole new build my ram is fine for now i think and my graphics cards ok graphics settings dont bother me much unless its unplayable or completely low.

thanks for any advice.
  2. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your RAM and GPU is fine. Just need to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and maybe CPU cooler. New case?
    EviLZeD says thanks.
  3. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im thinking should i get an am2+ board if i do switch to phenom but i dont know how much of a performance hit i would get using my current board as its just am2 i can upgrade the rest (case, hdd and any others) when a finally build a new rig
  4. Charper2013

Charper2013 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest waiting 5-6 months to do Phenom or i7. When stuff is new they have alot of bugs that havent been worked out fully. By waiting the prices would be lower and the bugs would be worked out. But if you had to the new Phenom I have heard is gonna be badass.
    EviLZeD says thanks.
  5. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    go to the EGG and get you an am2 90w mobo (usually under $90)
    if its CFX, get 2x4830 and you will have gtx280 like performance.
    if its not, look here on TPU, there is a guy selling a 3870x2 for like $150 shipped.
    Ram isnt outdated, ram is the only real part in a computer that you can say you really "invested" in, and maybe the PSU and blu-ray could be an "investment".
    also, if you need it for media or whatever, the egg is selling 1tb hdds for under $100.

if you need any help, feel free to contact me, for some reason i seem to be a very good egg shopper.
    EviLZeD says thanks.
  6. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    eh i wouldn't support the whole 3870x2 thing, that's a good deal for what the card can put out fps wise, but if you could spare the cash get an HD 4870, it doesn't have any of the AA issues that plagued the HD 3XXX series and teh HD 4870 is better performing and would have better longetivity
    EviLZeD says thanks.
  7. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think thats a good point i bought my system the same week socket am2 processors and motherboards came out and there was alot of issues with my mobo at the time. I guess i should wait a little more then just build a new system rather then updating my current one.