1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade path dilemma

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Apocalypsee, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Apocalypsee

Thanks Received:
    Currently I use Athlon X2 3800+ (but heavily overclocked, it uses Windsor F3), but I'm in dilemma on which upgrade path should I go with Intel or AMD. My cousin give his GA-P31-DS3L to me (but no CPU) so I can upgrade to C2D anytime but as Intel have moved away from LGA775 platform should I continue using AM2 platform?

If yes then I should buy a new mobo that can support upcoming Phenom II which have great overclockability, plus it will give some performance upgrades over my current mobo (PCIe 2.0, better overclock etc.)

If not then I sold my current CPU and buy C2D (or hopefully C2Q) and plan to overclock it too. My budget is very limited so I don't want to waste any money in progress. Thanks for any recommendation :)
  2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    The Gigabyte P31 is actually a pretty decent board. What are your plans? Do you mainly game? HTPC use?

EDIT:
    What's your budget?
  3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont really see what the dilemma is. Your current AM2 board doesnt give you great upgrade options. It is capable of supporting current Phenom & Kuma CPUs but wont support upcoming 45nm AMD CPUs. The Phenom X4,X3 & Kuma are not a worthy upgrades unless you are on a budget and are considered to be somewhat of a flop. I think you should go with C2D/C2Q, it will give you better performance than 65nm AMD.
  4. Apocalypsee

Thanks Received:
    This rig is purely for games. Budget is irrelevant to talk here, but all I can say is the price of C2D is very expensive here, for the price of E8400 I can get Phenom 9950 Black. Its much more cheaper to buy AMD platform than Intel here. My budget is way lower than that, this is what I plan to buy:

Intel path: E7200 or E7300 + Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
    AMD path: any good mobo that uses SB750 southbridge for Phenom II overclock

I don't know whether I should wait till quad core CPU drop its price, because I think a faster clocked dual core is better than slower quads
  5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think an e8400 is better than Phenom 9950, it can be overclocked to over 4 gig depending on your board. I also agree on dual vs. quad overclocking. Most people dont even need quads to begin with and for games, well, very few games benefit from them. In the future there will be more but right now hardware is developing faster than software. So if you want future proof and you want this rig to last 3 years or so get a quad, if not get a dual. Phenom 2 is a worthy competitor to C2Q and also very overclockable, i suppose if AMD is cheaper than getting a good SB750 board coupled w/ a Phenom 2 is a good idea. But i guess it will depend on how much those CPUs will cost over there.
  6. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    i think you might be happier with a used Q6600 than anything else.

this board is a great place to get ahold of one too.
  7. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    buying used parts on this forum is generally a good idea though the shipping cost to Malasiya may ruin the deal. Though I do think the OP should still look into buying on forums to save some cash if shipping cost is acceptable then it could be worth it.
  8. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    cpu in no frills package might be ok.. maybe