1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade suggestions

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Caspase, Nov 11, 2012.

1. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't replace that with some Korean monitor (but that's just me).

More RAM only if you really need it (or if you only want it), your CPU won't benefit that much from RAM OC (a better CPU cooler and a higher OC would be better).

Socket 2011 is a waste of money since (I assume) you are more into gaming than some heavy computation or VM's.

SLI would give you a good boost but I think it's out of your budget if you need a new motherboard, however if you do choose to go SLI then using higher resolution monitor will put those GPU's to good use (1920x1200 won't benefit that much from it).
    But it's the most expensive way (you need a new GPU, monitor, and motherboard I assume).

If I had the hardware that you have and wanted to upgrade something, I would save up and buy a proper 2560 x 1440/1600 monitor. It will have an impact on the GPU, but I think a 670 should be good (if not, save up for another or wait for new generation of GPU's).
    Caspase says thanks.
  2. Caspase

Thanks Received:
    What if I went with the artic cooling, flashed my gtx 670 and OC the hell out of it so it could hold 1440p well? Like this I could stay reasonably within budget...

No one thinks 3D is a good option?

Thanks for your input , really aprecciate it!
  3. vawrvawerawe

Thanks Received:
    3D would be really awesome, if you're asking me. But I would want one of the new 3D screens that don't need glasses, and they are still extremely expensive, being so new.

I tried out a 3D HDTV at the SONY store and it is really awesome!!
  4. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    I think it should hold without much OC as well: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_670_Windforce/1.html

But it depends on what are playable framerates for you.

IMO 3D is useless, and you sacrifice the panel quality for it, I would stay away from it. Not to mention I get a massive headache from it.
    Caspase says thanks.
  5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think that you find most people here see 3D as more of a gimmick than of any real value.

IMO, Unless you are really unhappy with something about your current rig, I would save up and see what the next gen of hardware looks like when it comes out.
    Caspase says thanks.
  6. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    My 7970 didn't have a problem with my 2560*1600 monitor before the monitor started it's thermal problems.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Caspase

Thanks Received:
    Well, I was really set in upgrading something, but since there clearly isn't a consensus I guess I'll just wait for haswell/big kepler... Or maybe I'll look into WC but for now I set my mind, since WC requires a lot of study...
    Thanks everyone, awesome community (even with the occasional douche)! :)

But are current s-ips much better than they were back in 2003? My father bought it for 1500$ back then so it was pretty high end, has the technology really evolved? If not maybe my monitor is fine...
  8. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would the 7970 have thermal problems?

You should not upgrade when there are newer stuff, you should upgrade when you feel your current setup is not good enough.
    Caspase says thanks.
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Picture quality should be about the same, but the picture would be considerably bigger. 2560*1440 will net you 4 more inches of screen(27" screen), 2560*1600 will net 7 more inches(30" screen)

The monitor is having the thermal problems, the 7970 is just fine.

Very good advice
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. repman244

repman244

Thanks Received:
    They did evolve (and become cheaper), most of them are now e-IPS which is somewhat an upgraded S-IPS. The thing is that a lot of them are 6-bit but use A-FRC to become (artificaly) 8-bit, and W-LED backlight which doesn't have the same gamut as CCFL (and it adds severe tinting)
    Examples:
    Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
    HP ZR2740W
    I think your monitor is still a very good one even compared to modern ones (when it comes to colour reproduction). The only worthy upgrade IMO would be moving to a 27' IPS LCD (higher res, better performance but you do loose in some areas as I've already said).
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
    Caspase says thanks.
  11. Caspase

Thanks Received:
    I will be keeping my current setup. Thanks :):)