1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade Time

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JdPower, Jul 21, 2006.

1. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well finally its about time to upgrade my crummy Socket A CPU and slow MOBO. Now all I am going to be upgrading is my:
    -MOBO
    -Video Card
    -CPU
    I am pretty sure what video card I want and the mobo that I want. Just the processor I am unsure of. I know AMD prices are going to be dropping here soon. Like next week or so. Thats probably when i'll buy. Anyways, the MOBO that I want/and heard good things about is the DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR w/ the ATi CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200 chipset. The video card will be either the ASUS ATi Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 x16 or the HIS Hightech ATi X1800GTO 256MB GDDR3 x16. The HIS w/ the DFI MOBO would be 100 bucks less if I were to go with the DFI MOBO and the X1900XT. Should I spend the extra U.S. $100.00 dollars to get the X1900XT?

Now the MOBO is a socket 939 board as usual. The MAIN thing I do on this computer is play Counter-Strike:Source no other games and no other things I really do. I do my share of trolling the internet however... CS:S is mainly based on the CPU instead of the vid card so I know if I were to get an FX CPU it would be great. But I can justify myself spending more then $400.00 dollars on a CPU. SO that leaves me with AMD 64 and AMD 64 X2. I am just all lost on what kind of CPU to get. Please please help me! :banghead:

Thanks!
    Jd

2. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Is there any particular reasons why you want to go with an amd cpu? I think the best choice would be waiting a few weeks after all the price drops have happened and conroe is fully released. Then get the rough prices of the cpu's in your price range and look at the benchmarks associated with them.

-not saying go with intel, just saying check out what everyone has to offer on the price to performance for your budget :)

3. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    are you looking to sell your parts to put money towards it or keep the system you have no as a back up?

4. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    I most likely will when and if I get it up and running good and operating.

I have had AMD processors since my first computer! They perform well and they are overclockable which is what I like. Never really pay any attention nor cared about intel. I dont even know what "conroe" is? :laugh: Better start researching eh? Well I thought and what I have been told is that AMD processors are very good for gaming?

Jd

5. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Traditionally AMD has been better than Intel but it seems like Conroe, Intel's latest, is actually very good for gaming as well.

Also dual core might be nice for future proofing but doesn't help very much with current games.

I just pulled up a list of Athlon64s at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3 1050706980&Submit=ENE&Nty=1&SubCategory=343

and the 3800+ (2.4GHz / 512k) seems like a good deal at 138. The 1M cache CPUs are a lot more expensive on there (about double the price actually - I like them but not worth it IMHO).

The cheapest X2 on there is the 3800+ (dual 2.0GHz / 512k) at 289 and the 3800+ will give you better CS:S performance for less than half.

6. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    to respond to your origional question about the video card get the X1800GTO it will let you run max settings. X1900XT is overkill for CS:S.

7. drade

drade

Thanks Received:
    Very Overkill.

8. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the comments guys. I appreciate! Now, that mobo that I am getting is that a good mobo? I have been hearing that its great! The DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR w/ the ATi CrossFire Radeon XPRESS 3200 chipset? Thanks again!

Jd

9. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    A64 X2 3800+, then OC that sucker ;)
    DFI CFX3200 is awesome
    lastly your viddy, try locating a good price X1900GTO, froogle is a good place to start ;)

10. JdPower New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another quick question... Sorry. The mobo (DFI) is the ATi Crossfire chipset. Now how would that work with a Crossfire video card? Do I have to have two crossfire video cards for "Crossfire" to work. Or can i only have one? I know for sure that you must have 550w preferrably more to operate Crossfire. Thanks again for the response!

Jd

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Not 100% sure but last time I checked the cards did not have to match for crossfire to work. Namely you could have a lowly X1300 mixed with a X1900