1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade - what to do...?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MainframeTM, Sep 8, 2010.

1. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Greetings,

I"ve recently went thru one of those life changing experiences where you come out the other side & want to treat yourself. So I'm thinking..lets upgrade the pc!

Current Specs..

AMD 955 Duel core @ 3.5ghz
    Asus M4N-82 Deluxe
    2 BFG 260s 896mb SLIed
    3 500ish Gig HDs
    1 1TB external HD
    Currently running 2 monitors
    Duel booting Win764 Home & XP Home 32

I"m not sure what upgrade path to go @ this point. From what I've seen Intel seems to be carrying most SLI boards & AMD has mostly crossfire. I"ve thought about going intel..whats the best intel cpu out there..i7? I"m not sure if I want to totally change my pc out but am wanting to just blaze thru anything I throw @ it.

Thank you & thoughts?
  2. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Yeah get a core i7 with an SLI MB ( SLI scales better ) keep the rest !
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree with Trickson. You'll probablly want to upgrade your video cards at some time in the future though. :)
  4. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    What does your computer not blaze through as it is?
  5. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    NOthing really to be honest. Just wanting to dump more money into the thing. Also I've read that intel setups seem to keep constant fps in games & work better over all. However I'm afraid I maybe looking @ a grass is greener viewpoint right now. I could do the 6core AMD but it wouldn't work well on this motherboard and I"m alittle gunshy with it due to I can't see too much use for it just yet.
  6. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Just have fun with a sweet i7 ! Why not ? I meant if you have the cash and want some thing new go for it . And yes the i7 will be far faster and far better than AMD right now . You would not regret it . My Q9650 is BLAZING fast , Though I got mine just before the i7 came out so I am stuck with it .
  7. MainframeTM

MainframeTM New Member

Thanks Received:
    So i'd say I"m looking @ a new board - cpu & memory. Thou I wonder if I can reuse my 4 gigs of DDR2? I"ll have to check into that.
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    No you will have to get new RAM as well . But all in all you will be far better off with DDR3 ( some kick-ass stuff ) ! so yeah new board , CPU and RAM . the video cards you have are fine but you may want to get 2 more new ones some high end ones if you are feeling really good about your self that is :D .