1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

upgrade, worth it or not

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by LittleLizard, Oct 8, 2009.

1. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    ok this may be a little WTF question for some to ya but whatever.

Its worth upgrading from this [​IMG] to a

GeForce 2 MX 400 with 32mb DDR, 175mhz clock GPU and 350 (DDR) clock on the memory. Its for an old, VERY OLD PC.

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I suppose if it's a free upgrade or the current video is failing, I had a GF2 MX440, it was a decent card for me back then (early 2002-ish or so iirc). It'd be quite an upgrade from what they have now though imo though I could be wrong. If the card is free or uber cheap, it'd be worth trying out. Though there needs to be a point in this upgrade if it costs money...do the games this PC plays need more power? Is the current GPU failing? If not, really no sense in spending money in this area on a very old PC imo...doesn't mean you shouldn't, just means I wouldn't unless it was more necessary than curiosity.

:toast:

LittleLizard says thanks.
  3. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    Is for a friend that due to financial problems and very, very, bad luck, he ended with an old pc with no chance to upgrade but he is happy with his pc as he plays only GTA: vice city, probably morrowind and daggerfall so he is happy with it. His main problem till now was the lack of disk space (3 disk of 4GB :() so i gave him today an old 10gb and he was OMFG, THAT AWESOME. The card is so cheap that he probably can afford it and it would be a nice upgrade from what he has right now.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Well then, I think you already had your question answered before you asked it! Sounds like that's what that rig needs to make him get by a little easier with it. Good thing he's gotta friend like you around.

5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I would go ahead and do it, the new card would not be awesome by any means, even compared to a Radeon HD4350 or Geforce 8400GS, but it would be a substantial upgrade over what he has currently.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that is actually a "good" upgrade. The GeForce 2 series, in its entirety supports DirectX 7.0 (hardware Transformation and Lighting), and the DDR ram is much faster. Is this on an Intel PII/PIII 440BX system? (saw the AGP 2X). Still an upgrade even then.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    Yep. he is not rich in money but he has good friends (including me). all of his machines are gifts from friends and the only one that he bought ended burnt up on a electric cut. He has now a good ups (also from a friend) so his pcs are fine :). :toast:

His actual pc (the one that he uses now) is

CPU - Duron spitfire 750mhz
    MOBO - PCChips early socket 462 that only supports durons :(
    RAM - 256MB of awesome fast pc133 dimm memory!!
    HDD - 2 samsungs 4gb and one of those old 5.25 inches (which will be replaced today by the hdd i gave him)

strangely, the pcchips page and the chipset support agp 4x but this works at 2x... Its weird. Still i dont think that is a bottlenecking problem

8. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I would check the BIOS. All K7 boards should be new enough to support 4X. The Duron 750 will probably like the GF2 more than the Vanta.

That OS must run terribly slow with a 4GB HDD, unless it's 98/ME. I don't like the transfer rates of drives under 40GB.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD