1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by P-40E, Jul 5, 2014.

1. P-40E

Thanks Received:
    Well the FX-8320 did not work out like I thought it would. I sold it and got a Ivy bridge i5 3470. I love it. It performs better than my older i5 750 and the 8320. I like how cool it runs and how easy it overclocks. (If you can call turning up the multiplier overclocking) It is limited to 40 on the multiplier because it's a non K, But it performs very well. I set each multiplier on the turbo setting to go up to 37 on each core. I think it only goes to 38 on each core. What I don't get is on the stock settings the turbo is set to 36 on core 1, And 36 on core 2, And then 35 on core 3, And 34 on core 4. That's weird you would think at stock they would be set it to run the same on all cores.

2. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Intel designed the Core series CPU like that. Not sure exactly why, but it's been like that since Sandy Bridge. Personally, I just set all core the same.

BTW, you should be able to get 150-200 more MHz out of it with a little BLK OC'ing. My 2600k can do up to 104.5 MHz, which at a multi of 40 would be another 180 MHz, meaning instead of 4000 MHz, you'd be at 4,180 MHz. My 2600k can only do a multi of 48, but with BLK OC'ing, I can get 5 GHz.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Sadly not everything does well with base clock, my prior chip, Xeon 1230v2, could undervolt like a champ but didn't like bclk over 102. IIRC, I undervolted the Xeon to 0.800v and overclocked it (via multipler +2 bin) 200 mhz to 3.5! Chip would have been amazing if it had an unlocked multiplier.

4. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, remember the LGA1156 chips, the Clarkdale i3:s OC'd easily to 4.3+, it sucks that you can't do it with SB/IB/HW non-K CPUs :(

5. P-40E

Thanks Received:
    I am really enjoying this chip. It has been fun playing around with it. I scared myself a little last night pulling a noob. I was looking at features in the bios and saw EUFI / Legacy PCIe Rom settings. So I thought I would try EUFI just to see what difference it would make. Then I selected save and exit. Then while booting nothing happened. Only the fans would run, I had no HDD lights or power lights just the fans spinning. Man I was freaked out. I could not find a CMOS reset, The manual has very little info in it, And I could not go online to look up were the reset switch was located. So I did it the old fashioned way by pulling the CMOS battery and switching the PSU switch to off. Then luckily she booted up. That is a awful feeling thinking you ruined your new rig.

6. P-40E

Thanks Received:
    I was told by many that it's a no no to touch the BCLK on a IVY Bridge. I remember at first I thought big deal the multiplier is locked on the non K's because I thought I could just change the BCLK, I had no idea that it was tied in with everything else. I still bought it after learning that because I knew it would still have some overclocking room. I am not a massive overclocker anyway. To be honest stock is fine.