1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgraded from 4870 to 5870, disappointed.

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by MLG The Canadian, Dec 25, 2010.

1. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    im telling you try the gpu in another machine or with a different psu

i remember thinking my RAM was bad in this rig till i pulled the PSU i was blaming the wrong component when instead the PSU just wasnt enough even in single gpu setup i was having issues just the 12v rail wasnt up to snuff its possible that the wattage on the unit is sufficient but if the voltage is dropping to low on the rails feeding the GPU it could be causing your issue. you could try switching PCIE plugs or using adaptors anything to try and see if its a power related issue
  2. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a program to monitor the voltage drops? I can take some screens or something.

Another thing that was strange during the installation of the card: when I plugged it into my PCIE slot, it wouldn't snap in, but the gold on the connector of the graphics card was completely inside of the PCIE slot. It looked like it should have gone in more, but I tried and tried and it wouldn't go in any further.

But.. if it wasn't connected properly I'm sure I would have gotten an error or I would be seeing some massive problems.

I have had no errors or anything. Hmm, maybe I'll try swapping the graphics cards.
  3. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    i used Hardware monitor by the same group that dose CPU - Z after that i had a buddy actually test my unit to make double sure.
  4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I use a program called everest to view the voltage on the rails, however, it will only show the rail that is connected to the motherboard.

If you think it is your psu, you could try changing the rail that the GPU is on.

My vote still goes for pinching a stick of ram from your old man's comp and putting it yours. either that or asking him if you can open his comp up to help troubleshoot yours.

Try your gpu in his machine. if that works well. get an image of his os partition and load it on your computer, to see if it's a software thing.
  5. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I'm gonna back up everything onto my second internal drive and re-install 7-64, with the hopes that it is a software bug.

Once that's installed, i'll try his PSU with my card, his PSU with his card, and my psu with his card to eliminate any ideas that it's one of those components. I'll also try combinations of both his components and mine and such with the extra gigabyte of ram.

Lots of work to do.
  6. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    You're going through way too much trouble. There are two things you need to try:

-Use your dad's RAM in your rig.
    -If that doesn't work, then put the RAM back in your dad's rig and then try your card in your dad's rig.

My bet is on needing that extra gig of RAM. If it runs OK until there's a lot of action on the screen, that sounds like memory to me. I had the same problem on a machine before I added more ram. The issue is that it just didn't have enough room for all the extra textures.
    MLG The Canadian says thanks.
  7. Magikherbs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you reset the Cmos/bios after changing cards ? Installing the game on a different partition/drive may help.

Your system is at minimum matching 1:1, its ram with your gpu's memory and more if it has it. Going to 2x 2gb of ram should fix things.

[​IMG]

Are you sure there are no other variables between the two rigs ?

Ditto :D
    theJesus says thanks.
  8. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm gonna get to work tonight and report back.

Note: BIOS version dates back to 2008. Should I update it?/How would I go about doing so?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    If there is a newer BIOS, it might be beneficial to upgrade, but try my suggestions with swapping the hardware out first. If that works, then might as well stick with the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to the BIOS.

You should be able to find the latest BIOS for your board along with instructions for updating on the manufacturer's website.
  10. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Jesus. I never believed in you until now. ;)
    theJesus says thanks.
  11. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    :D
    So does that mean you fixed it?
  12. sepheronx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your 3dMark 11 score seems about right (I get around 4K with a AMD X6 1055T @ Stock and 6870 @stock), so try what Jesus said, if that does not work, definately a system clean (wipe HDD and install OS again). When cleaning drivers, did you use Driversweeper in safe mode? I find that if you don't properly clean the drivers, there may be performance issues. At least in the past (win XP) it was the case, I am not entirely sure with Vista/7. But, give it a shot if the hardware change, does not change BF:BC2 performance.
  13. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    The other computers ram which is 4 gigs is actually a different (slower) speed than mine so i couldn't try what Jesus recommended.

I'm going to pick up some more ram because I've wanted more for a long time anyway.

I had a thought. Before I got my new graphics card, I switched from my SoundBlaster Xtreme Audio sound card to my onboard SoundMAX sound provider. I was thinking maybe this is what is causing issues.. like a compatibility issue or something.. because maybe more stress on the audio (intense battles) is causing some sort of performance drop.
    I doubt it's that though.
  14. sepheronx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you clean the drivers from your PC (your card drivers) before installing the onboard audio? Conflicting drivers can and will cause performance issues.
  15. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    No... don't think so...

Shit what do I do?
  16. sepheronx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Simple, either use ccleaner to find your audio drivers, or under msconfig you can find your audio drivers and uninstall them.

Creative audio card, correct? Just look for the creative audio drivers and uninstall. Also, uninstall your current onboard drivers as well. Find the latest drivers for your board, and install them.
  17. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I looked under control panel's list of programs.. saw nothing except the creative control panel which I uninstalled. I also deleted the creative folders that I could find.
  18. sepheronx New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK. Give the game a whirl. But in long shot, doing a system clean up couldn't hurt at all.
  19. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Something is up with my PSU. There is a grinding noise going on. It's slight, more like a screeching than a grinding.

WoW in particular, in the character loading screen or just the login screen, the PSU is screeching.

Also, on the side, where the power cables go to my components, one of the lights leading to (I think) my main hard drive was completely out, and I had to move it a little for it to illuminate which I'm not sure if that means it wasn't getting power very well or something.. but anyway.

I dunno what's up with the PSU. Anyone know about this mysterious screeching noise? It only happens in certain loading times and stuff... I never hear it from start up or when I'm opening programs.. just when I'm running WoW for some reason. I put my ear right up to it and I know its coming from the PSU.
  20. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like crazy had your problem pegged.
  21. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Sounds defective to me. It's been like 4 days that this PSU has been in my system.

It shouldn't be screeching.

Just played some black ops.. it does it there too, but not as loud as during the character log in of WoW.
    I'm so lost.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW with no Vsync = 9 gazillion FPS at the login screen. that would really stress a GPU out causing higher power draw.
    Magikherbs says thanks.
  23. Magikherbs New Member

Thanks Received:
    No wonder my cpu temps go up ALOT when I leave DII LOD running at the join game screen ! ahah..
  24. crazyeyesreaper

Thanks Received:
    im gonna have to be a douchebag and say if it is the powersupply i think i stated that days ago lol :roll: now on to more constructive things such as pushing you try the damn gpu on a different psu :toast: to make damn sure thats the issue
    MT Alex says thanks.
  25. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    you probably need to do a full new driver installation. I can't stress it anymore but no matter when you install a new card you should always do a fresh driver installation

Heres how you do it:

1. Go download Driver Sweeper and Catalyst 10.4 drivers or 10.5(when i had a 5870 the 10.4 and 10.5 for the best drivers)

2. uninstall catalyst control center from Add and remove programs

3. restart system into safe mode

4. Open up Driver sweeper

5. check 'ATI' and click clean

6. exit driver sweeper and restart to normal mode

7. Install the new drivers

And thats it. you should be good. and overclock your CPU a little bit more. will also help more. 3.4GHZ shouldnt be a problem for the Q9300. just be sure to stress test it for 8hrs+ in prime95 and make sure the temperatures stay under id say 65c.

Looking at your PSU id definitely invest in a better one from either antec, Seasonic, or corsair. you dont need a 1000w psu for your rig. look at a Antec True power new 750, Seasonic X750, or Corsair HX750