1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgraded Motherboard and added Crossfire now there are issues.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by toxirau, Jul 2, 2009.

1. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well i finally got up the money to get a new motherboard and bought a 2nd 4850. Everything boot's up fine and i can some games like Guitar Hero 3, Second Life, Perfect World, TF2 ect.. But when i launch COD4 i can play for about 2 minutes in single player mode then the whole pc insta shuts down. I can boot back up fine and launch it again. I watched the voltage on the +12 -12 , and 5v rails and it always stays within safe range. I'm kind of unsure of what is causing the PC to crash like that.

Specs

AMD Phenom 9850 @ stock
    2 Sapphire 4850's @ stock
    2 80gig Satadrives in RAID 0
    1 750gig Sata drive
    3 2 Dvdburners and a CD burner
    5 120mm Fans
    1 220mm fan.
    585w HEC Orion PSU

Any help on what might be the problem would be great.

2. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like your PSU probably isn't giving you 585W under full load. I haven't heard of that brand of PSU either.

If you're tight on money, TBH, I would sell one of your HDD's, your PSU, and one of your 4850's, and invest in a solid PSU. Even if your voltages are within safe ranges, the power rating that manufacturers give their PSU's are not always under full load, because they can give them a rating at lower temperatures than they will run at that amount of power going through them.

3. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339012

That's the power supply.

The computer has been running fine since it's last crashed wiped out the BIOS i was just trying to narrow it down. The power supply is not heating up at all by the way both the case and the air comming out of it when it's under load it's warm but not anything beyond the ordinary.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1x19A and 1x20A rail is low for crossfire.

Where are you testing the voltages, at the PCI-E connectors of both cards, or just one? The shutdown could be caused by too much current draw and OCP kicking in, not an overheat.

5. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm just watching them on Hwmonitor. I don't have a direct line hooked to them though i should Let me go get my multimeter and see what they drop to or atleast see if i can get it to crash again.

6. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Mussels did you notice that PSU only has one six pin connector for pci express cards.
    Would not that put it all on one rail?

EDIT:Maybe if he pulled one of the 4850s and tried it to see if it shuts down then.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    dont use software. its useless, and will only measure one rail.

In my opinion its pretty clear that your PSU is not up to the task of running two video cards.

One rail will run the CPU/MB/fans/HDD's etc
    The other rail will run the PCI-E connector and the 4/8 pin CPU power, usually.

8. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Here's a good rule of thumb that I usually use. Whatever you're willing to spend on a single component in your computer, you need to get a power supply that costs at least that much retail. Look at my system in my specs to the left. There's really nothing special about my hardware, but I still bought a $200 PSU (at the time) and it's still $170 on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194027

Anybody running crossfire should have at least one 25A +12V rail in a multi +12V rail PSU, and over 35A for a single (probably more).

Do you have a buddy with a PC that you could borrow a PSU from to see if it solves the problem?

9. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pulled out one of the cards to see if it was they were they problem and i loaded up COD4. About 10 minutes into the game on one card i heard a POP and then the pc shut down. I pulled out the PSU and one of the CAP's on it poped. Thanks for the help I'm going to pick up a new power supply in the next week or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104058
    Hows that look for my rig ?

10. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
  11. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    fortron have a good reputation. They arent the best these days, but they're definately good.

My complaint would be that it has four 18A rails - you want as few rails as possible.

In the same price range, grab one of these

Same PSU as mine (and it runs 4870 crossfire, so its definately going to run yours)

Model down, but still enough - and cheaper than the fortron you listed.

12. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    LOL we posted the same PSU :rockout:

If you can find a good deal on an Enermax, I highly recommend them as well. I got a lucky deal on mine :)

13. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, I will work on getting the 750w next week. As far as the computer goes all the parts are fine i have it up and running with onboard graphics no fans and the cpu clocked down to 1.6ghz @ 1.1v on a 250w psu.

14. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Just be careful you don't kill any hardware in the meantime OK?

And Welcome to TPU by the way :toast: Sorry your first visit (as a registered user) had to be because of a problem :(

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    nice solution, i like it.

16. toxirau

toxirau New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the welcome. It seams to be stable I'm not planing on running anything stressing other than some movies until i get a new power supply. I'm glad the hd3300 can handle both of my monitors with out lagging.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    my media PC uses a HD3200, its incredible for onboard video. can barely, barely run modern games - but it sure as hell does vista or 7's aero perfectly.