1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Upgraded PC - Nothing on screen when booted up.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Paladone, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys;

I recently upgraded a few of my PC parts;

3770k to 4930k

Asus maximus V formula eATX LGA1155 MOBO to asrock X79 Extreme6 LGA2011 motherboard

Matrix HD7970 and Gigabyte HD7990 to EVGA GTX780ti SC ACX superclocked edition - 1006/7000

A new H100i CPU water cooler (My previous one broke).

In addition, I also bought a 2TB WDCB HDD and a 750GB samsung 840 Evo SSD and now have those two in edition to a 128GB samsung 840 Pro (Boot up drive) and a 1TB WDCB HDD.

I also have a Corsair HX1050w Gold PSU
    32GB of DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
    Phantom 820 Gunmetal gaming case with several 120/140/200mm bitfenix pro spectre LED fans.

Prior to these upgrades, while transferring my old components to a new case, I broke to motherboard. Unable to find a LGA1155 socket any where near me, I just chose to purchase a 2011 socket Mobo with the 4930k CPU.

Now, everything is in the case and this time, the PC actually boots up; however, when it does so, nothing appears on the screen. I have tried several different connections with a few different monitors but still nothing.

My assumption was that the drivers from my old Mobo/Graphics cards and so on are conflicting with my new parts, could this be the issue? If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it helps, when it boots up, 00 is displayed on the POST LED.

EDIT: Also, is it okay to use Sata 6Gb/s cables with a HDD?
  2. lastcalaveras

lastcalaveras

Thanks Received:
    I used to work for a computer store and the biggest problem with LGA2011 is ram in the wrong slots check with the manual. Also yes it is fine to use sata 6Gb/s cables on hard drives.

Another thing is to check the error code on the debug LED against the manual
    Paladone says thanks.
  3. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    If you were to look at how my RAM is installed; left to right, then there is a stick in every second slot.

In terms of the status code 00; the manual says that this means "Not used".
  4. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    are you using your old boot up drive for new system? if so you can disconnect it, install OS to your new SSD and try again.
    Paladone says thanks.
  5. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    If possible I would like to keep the 128GB 840 Pro as my boot up drive. I also don't have an optical drive to install it :\
  6. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This is all a bit wierd. Your PC should still boot to the UEFI BIOS regardless of operating system and HDD/SSD, or at least go to a screen with a boot error. Are you saying the monitor screen remains completely blank? I've also checked your LED debug codes and '00' in your motherboards manual states - 'not in use'. I don't think you can just re-use a drive with an OS on it on a new motherboard, there are too many different drivers for the OS to work with that it won't have installed.
    I think you need to re-install your OS but if you are not even getting a BIOS or 'boot error' screen then there is something even more fundamental wrong. You either have terrible luck, buy things pre-broken or are doing something wrong with your installations? :confused:

Edit - you'll also need to identify the BIOS version of that board. It needs bios version P2.30 to accept i7 4940k cpu. The packaging should say o it somewhere (on a sticker) what bios it is.
  7. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    It says that the bios version is P2.20-15B. Does this mean they are not compatible? o_O When I bought everything, I was ensured they would be compatible.

EDIT: So what would cause it to say "not in use"?

- and yeah the screen is completely blank
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I should also note that this time, I was very careful with the installation. I triple checked anything before doing it and constantly sourced back to the manual for re-assurance. I also made sure that everything was handled carefully and that I took appropriator safety measures.
  9. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    No idea about the 'not in use' part. FWIW, my mobo LED posts numbers that aren't in my manual.

Have you tried this?

1) uninstall everything from your motherboard (except cpu and memory, as long as they are in the correct slots)
    2) Install the 750GB Samsung Evo only - no other drive.
    3) Install your old 7970 if you have it.
    4) Connect the relevant power cables, SATA cable and VGA to monitor

Switch on - see what happens. If you get a boot screen, then shut down and try the new VGA card instead (removing the 7970). Make sure VGA is in primary PCI-e 16 slot.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT: If your retailer guaranteed BIOS, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Paladone says thanks.
  10. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    If your PC doesn't even POST and stays blank, then either the GPU is on the fritz (you can check that by trying your old GPU and seeing if you get to the BIOS POST screen), or your motherboard is faulty. Nothing stops a PC from getting to a BIOS POST screen besides a faulty motherboard or a GPU that isn't outputting. Unless of course you plugged in your HDMI/DVI cable into the motherboard instead of the GPU. Given your high end hardware choices, I doubt that is the case.
    Also try your GPU in a different PCI-E lane, I assume you're trying the top one.

EDIT: Also try putting only 1 stick of RAM in at a time, and try booting with different sticks. Your manual will tell you which is your A1 lane for RAM.
  11. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A litte research indicates that there have been some significant boot/post issues relating to the Extreme6

And there is your problem, your Bios does not support your CPU, you need 2.60 + drivers.......

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79 Extreme6GB/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
    XSI, Paladone and RCoon say thanks.
  12. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I tried two different 7970's in addition to the 780, and all in different PCI-E lanes. Still nothing on the screen; "No DVI Signal".

I also tried each stick of RAM individually and still no nos signal on the monitors.
  13. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    Tatty_One and Paladone say thanks.
  14. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Ahh I see, how can I update the drivers?
  15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Bios first, click on "how to update" in the link next to the 2.60 bios and it will give you instructions and options, if this is the issue, once done it should boot but you then need to download the updated chipset etc drivers but they will not stop it booting if the issue is the Bios which it looks like.

@ RCoon..... it's a troll and therefore related to many in these forums :)
    RCoon and Paladone say thanks.
  16. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded the drivers and put them on a flash drive just like the instructions said. When I plug in my keyboard, it doesn't light up at all which makes me think that the motherboard is not even powering it. The other issue is that, even if my keyboard was recognized, I am still getting no signal on my monitors (with any graphics card) :S

EDIT: My USB does not light up when I insert it either. (It is in FAT32 format).
  17. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me in that case you may have a dud Motherboard on your hands then, assuming of course that you have everything connected up correctly including both the 24 pin ATX and 8 pin CPU power connectors etc ec.
    Paladone says thanks.
  18. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    This is Paladone's 2nd issue like this. I'm not questioning your abilities Paladone but are you sure you have read everything correctly and the cables and devices are installed properly? you ought to take some clear pics of your motherboard and post them, showing the connectors. A top down pic would be good, in good crisp focus. Post it up here using TPU's own image hosting: http://www.techpowerup.org/
    Paladone says thanks.
  19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I have the exact video card, and for me, when I installed it, I had to update my Sandy Bridge system's motherboard BIOs to Ivy Bridge BIOs for it to work. Something about needing RE3 or something. Might be worth looking into.
    Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  20. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Had an issue similar to this a while back with an MSI mobo skt2011 & Ivy Bridge-E that booted to blank screen; had to use a Sandy Bridge-E CPU to boot and update bios

atb

Law-II
    Paladone says thanks.
  21. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Hahah, questioning my abilities is very justified. This time I was much more careful and thorough though but it is likely I am still doing something wrong.

I just took out my CPU/GPU/RAM but here is a picture of the motherboard - (I got an error message when I tried to upload it to TPU) - http://imgur.com/WIBGFUh - Sorry for the bad quality. It's night and I have very poor lighting at the moment. If it's an issue I can try to take a better photo.

When I had the rest of the components in the Mobo I made sure that i had:

GPU - In a PCI-E x16 slot with the 6 and 8 pin power cable.
    RAM - In every second slot (Left to right)
    H100i cooler - Cable in "cpu fan 1", Power for the pump and fan and the usb cord plugged into a usb header down at the bottom of the motherboard.

There were however 2 other USB 2.0 Cables left unplugged as I had run out of USB headers.

EDIT: Here is a slightly better photo - http://imgur.com/LuYQl7H
  22. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:

I think what Law-II says is probably the most relevant. Look at the required BIOS versions below (2.40), don't know where i got 2.3 from before). You were probably told the board does support the new 4930k cpu but it needs additional BIOS update to support it. If you bought it from a physical retailer, take it back and get them to do it for you.

[​IMG]
    Paladone says thanks.
  23. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I think i'll do that. but does it explain why my keyboard wasn't registering though?
  24. Arjai

Arjai

Thanks Received:
    Are all the motherboard screws properly insulated/ installed with non-conductive washers? I also concur with the statement that your MB is toasted.

Aside from improperly installing the CPU, not fully clamped, if nothing lights up, keyboard, usb...MB is dead, get another one. And some good washers.

Two Cents, Spent.
    Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I am sure that the cpu was installed properly, I watched several installation videos just in case xD

As for the washers, I did not use any. When I had my last build put together, they were not used and so I guess I just assumed that that they were not necessary. I did however make sure that I used the correct motherboard screws.
    Arjai says thanks.